a1327: Re: a1313: Subject Matter of Corbett List Posts Dorce to Benson (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 03/18/2002 5:50:30 AM Pacific Standard Time,  LeGrace
Benson <legrace@twcny.rr.com> writes:

<< To be brief here:  The arts are NOT, as some have claimed
,"superstructure."
 They do more than "reflect" or "express" what is happening to the artist and
 her/his surrounding environment.  The arts are actually a necessary part of
 our social infrastructure, and without them we shall perish.  >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Dear LeGrace,  you said you were replying to my post but I was only remarking
on the folly of complaining about the subject matter of the threads on a
listserv and certainly not on the importance of the arts.  I completely agree
with you (especially as it is my bread and butter!) that the arts are
essential to our well being.  In fact, there was much fear in the art
community I am associated with, that September 11 would hurt art sales and we
might suffer a bad year economically.  I felt that the opposite was true.
When people hurt in their hearts and souls, that is when the arts are the
most important to us.  Music and visual art are always essential to human
beings but many times, when everything is comfortable, they are not
appreciated as they should be.   When things get hard, that is when we turn
to the arts for solace and healing.  Let me tell you that we are having a
very good start to our 2002 art show schedule.  I spend a good part of my
life educating people on the west coast and environs about Haiti and her
culture, even as we sell our paintings (I don't paint them but they are mine
too!).  Of course, I also try to balance out the political information as
well.  So, LeGrace, you are preaching to the choir here.  I agree with you
wholeheartedly!

Kathy Dorce~