a1334: About Goats? (fwd)

From: J.David <Jedidiah@lyalls.net>

>From: Cleo714@aol.com
>
>My understanding from a good friend who is a scientistas well as a farmer is
>that goats are actually very picky eaters.

I was interested in the goat posting earlier, as  i had read people
castigating the goat as the major cause of deforestation in
the world. The Mediterranean was given as an example.
Some say that the north coast of Africa was forested before
the domestic goat arrived.

Well, I talked about this with Dokte Phillip while in latonnel.
Thats in the  mountains above Darbonne/Leogane, remember.

Animal husbandry is  what Phillip is most interested in.
Doctoring humans he just does because no one else
will do so and he can study the do-it-yourself doctor books.

He says that the problem is that people let their animals
run loose, pigs as well  as goats. One weekend 17 goats were
killed by a new pack of wild dogs, come up from the valley
looking for  food.

He says that  on La Gonave some group is  cross breeding
angola goats with the haytian natives and getting nice big
productive goats.

Goat is, indeed, the premium meat. I love eating kabrit.
The hides do not get  turned into leather tho.
Goat hide makes excellent motorcycle jackets.

Perhaps Lance Durban could get some country tanners
to start working on goat leather.