a1326: Re: a1313: Re: a1199: Subject Matter of Corbett List Posts (fwd)

From:  Lois Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

I'd like to second everything LeGrace just said about the arts.  Works of
art shape discourse and are in turn shaped by it.  Whether social and
political comment is obvious or not in literature, music, painting,
dance, it is always there.  We pay lots of attention to news media.  Why
not works of art?  Probably because of the dominant view that the best
art is for art's sake.  That's a notion that needs to be taken to task.

Lois

La Troupe Makandal - New York City's Center for Haitian Drum and Dance
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org