a1352: Hemisphere journalists briefed on abusing of media in Haiti (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Hemisphere journalists briefed on abusing of media in Haiti

By Ismael Torres
The Associated Press
Posted March 18 2002

LA ROMANA, Dominican Republic · Haitian journalists who had been terrorized
in the past for supporting President Jean-Bertrand Aristide are being
terrorized anew, this time by militant supporters of the Haitian president,
a Haitian journalist told a media conference Sunday.

"I have been living in hell, in constant fear for my life. I am living some
of those dark moments again," said Guy Delva, head of the Association of
Haitian Journalists, during a presentation to more than 300 editors,
publishers and reporters from the Western Hemisphere.

The five-day conference by the Inter American Press Association has focused
its debates on press safety and laws that curtail free speech in countries
such as Cuba, Haiti, Mexico and Venezuela.

In Haiti, two journalists have been killed in the past two years, allegedly
by pro-Aristide militants, while 15 have fled to the United States, Canada
and France since an attack on the National Palace.