a1386: Re: a1315: the arts (fwd)

From: Jerry Philogene <jqp7197@nyu.edu>

As someone who is looking at the political and social “structures”
that  have created what we call traditional Haitian art and Jamaican
art, I'll just join in my saying that it is important that we have a
discussion about the cultural production by people of Haitian
descent within a larger discussion of works by people of African
descent.

So, while it is interesting to examine the more "traditional" and the
contemporary; the secular against the non-secular, it is also important
to understand how definitions and structures were created and do we
continue to perpetrate these structures with limited discussions
of Haitian art.  Let’s talk about Radcliff Bailey, Edouard Duval-
Carrie and Petronia Morrison and let’s talk about Vladimir Cybil and
Renee Stout and Jean Lacy.

Just my two cents…
Jerry Philogene