a1398: RE: 1363; 1321, et. al (fwd)

From: Fr. Michael Graves <harchim@yahoo.com>

   Earlier this week (Tuesday, to be exact) there was
a post (#1321) which asked for answers to a "poll",
and urged that we "voice your opinion". I did just
that. I wrote and voiced my opinion. There were no
lies, no sick comments and no personal attacks. The
question was about the possibility of there being a
compromise between Lavalas and the Convergence. I
followed the directions and answered the question
("NO") followed by the requested reason. I ended by
saying that "That's what I think".
   Now, when do we get the published results of that
"poll"? All polls produce results; let's have the
results of this one.
   But I have an  idea that the "poll" was not an
honest desire for a poll, but a trap! So far, there
have been two responses on the list to that "poll";
one from Greg Bryant (1370) which pretty-much agreed
with what I said but did it better, and another from
one Lonbrit Ayisian (#1388), which chastised me for
what I said, while planting premises which I do not
accept. (ie. The opposite of normal is not necessarily
abnormal.) Mr. Lonbrit (I suppose that's his name
since he did not place his name at the end of the
post!), posits a premise upon which he wishes to
elaborate, but which has nothing to do with my sincere
answers to the "poll".
   I "insinuated" nothing; I wrote clearly and
directly to the posited question. Lavalas *is*  the
ruling party (n'est pas?)and it *was* elected by the
majority of *normal* Haitians. Probably I should have
used the word "average" rather than "normal", and Mr.
L would not have had anything to "play with". But just
because I wrote "normal" does not imply that those who
did not vote for Lavalas were "abnormal". (But they
*were not* the average Haitian!)
   Now this is not something which I am "positing" as
an accepted premise after which I intend to build a
case for the theme I wish to present; this is a fact!
The majority of Haitin persons elected Lavalas, and
they want them to stay in power. The Convergence *is*
a tiny group of malcontents, none of whom would ever
wish to "compromise" with Lavalas...or any other group
for that matter, and they *do* have a negligible
following.
   I never wrote that the Convergence people (tiny as
they are, and malcontent as they are!)did not have a
right to disagree with the government in control. I'm
a member of a tiny minority, and I disagree with lots
of things which the  majority does and says.
   Mr. L. appears to like playing with the word
"abnormal" which does not appear in my posting in any
place. This is so like the old leaders of Haiti and
many of the present politicians who appear to love to
hear themselves talk. "Lock on to a point...even if it
has nothing to do with the subject-at-hand, and beat
it to death until your hearers are too tired to
respond, or they decide that you are merely a fool and
not worthy of a response.
   Lots of "abnormal" Haitians voted for Lavalas, too;
they are not all in the Convergence, as Mr. L. implies
or appears to deduce!
   Let's have the results of the poll; I'm waiting. So
far it's two to one on my side!
            harchim (Father Michael Graves)