a1433: Re: a1299: Re: a1201: Re: a1180: Re: Travel safety (fwd)

From: jacqualine labrom <ljacqui@haitiworld.com>

Hi there - I missed the first posting, but it seems that someone is saying
don't go to the Iron Market?! Well I don't normally take my tourists there -
but not because of danger or insecurity. Its just that some of them couldn't
take the claustrophic set-up of teeny little spaces and also the many
demands on them to 'come and see my stall'. However when there are some who
want to go then I take them and they have a wonderful time.

I tell them to just 'look' at the stands of the different people - the
marchands always live in hope that they will buy but it doesn't take a lot
of effort just to look - and who knows you might find something you like to
buy.  Also its just as easy to accept the help of a 'guide' in the market.
If you are looking for something specific they know immediately where to
take you, they are helpful in carrying your bags and they are very
personable people. My favourite is Dominic - the Rasta styled guy who has
great Voodoo flags and is very sweet. Just give them 25-50 gourdes at the
end, depending on your generosity and they'll go away very happy.

I recently took two women - one of whom had lived in Haiti for 5 years and
had never been because she was afraid. Apart from the obvious precautions
about keeping your purse close to you and not flashing too much money, we
all had a great time. They loved it and when the 2 hours were up they wanted
to stay longer!!

If you speak a bit of Creole you can have a great time too.

So don't be afraid of the unknown - be practical and safe and go and enjoy
yourself. You can sometimes find some real treasures.
These people are only trying to make a living and isn't that better than
begging on the streets!!!

Jacqui Labrom

VOYAGES LUMIERE

CHECK OUT MY NEW WEBSITE on: www.voyageslumierehaiti.com

'Journeys for the enlightened traveller'
'Voyages pour le touriste éclairé'
'Los viajes para el turista iluminado'

Please note my new office/home phone number
249-6177 + cell phone 557-0753