a1447: Secom Car Rental--PaP (fwd)

From: JD Lemieux <lxhaiti@yahoo.com>

Listers:

In line with the request for travel advice in Haiti, I
would like to mention Secom Car Rental.  They advertise a
booth at the airport in PaP and another location in
Petionville.

One of the guide books we had mentioned that it was
possible to arrange for a driver while renting a car.

We did this for a day trip to Jacmel.  The drivers name was
Guy and we were very happy with his safe and judicious
efforts behind the wheel of our rental sedan.

The car was in immaculate shape and never gave a hint of
trouble.

I would advise anyone who thought about using this service
to ask lots of questions about the rates for the driver.
We were quoted a set of rates which ended up being for
around PaP, even though we had told them specifically we
wanted to explore around Jacmel.  It was rather embarassing
for both Guy and me when we went to settle up at the end of
the day and found we had been working off different rate
plans, since there is a different rate chart for
out-of-town trips.

Also, make sure if the agency is charging a fee for
arranging for the driver.  They did charge us, but it was
never mentioned when we were making the arrangements.
Secom was very agreeable to a credit because they had not
mentioned this charge, but it was something they should
have mentioned up front, so ask questions.

We thoroughly enjoyed our day in Jacmel and swimming on a
beautiful beach east of town, but that is a topic for
another listing.

Hope this helps someone.

JD Lemieux