a1471: BBC: The police confirm having arrested Ronald Camille, AKA Cadavre (fwd)

From: Robert Benodin <r.benodin@worldnet.att.net>

Haiti: Highlights of Prince Signal FM radio 1230 gmt 25 Mar 02
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Mar 26, 2002

2. The police confirm having arrested Ronald Camille, AKA Cadavre, on an
arrest warrant issued by the judicial authorities, according to Jean-Dady
Simeon, spokesman for the Haitian National Police, PNH. Cadavre was arrested
near the Port-au-Prince airport. Simeon explains that Cadavre is now in
custody at the Delmas Police Station. (2 min.)
3. There has been a confrontation between two armed groups in La Saline
since Cadavre was arrested. There were no victims, however, thanks to the
Intervention and Maintenance of Order Company, CIMO, according to Franco
Camille, who adds that it is up to the court to decide whether or not his
brother Ronald is guilty. Cadavre is accused of having killed a man in front
of the Legislative Palace several weeks ago and is supposed to appear in
court today. (4 min.)
4. Headlines, ads. (4 min.)
5. Report on the return of President Jean-Bertrand Aristide from the
Monterrey International Conference on Financing for Development on 23 March.
He speaks of the necessity for the police and everyone to respect the rights
of political parties that hold peaceful gatherings. (4 min.)
6. Prime Minister Yvon Neptune, who was answering journalists' questions on
the Convergence's decision to propose an alternative to Lavalas, says the
opposition meets with the Lavalas Family, FL, whenever this is necessary. He
thinks there is no problem if a political sector says it is preparing an
alternative to Lavalas provided that this alternative conforms with the
provisions of the constitution. (2 min.)
7. Report by Carl Dieudonne on the mobilization of the Democratic
Convergence held on 22 March. The police took security measures to prevent a
possible confrontation between progovernment and opposition members.
Professor Victor Benoit presented the Convergence as a true alternative to
the Lavalas government. An opposition militant from Plateau Central says
that the mobilization against Lavalas will continue. (4 min.)
8. Attorney Gerard Gourgue, the opposition's provisional president, called
on opposition members to mobilize against the Lavalas trend. Gourgue,
speaking before several hundred opposition members and sympathizers, asked
Convergence militants for a large but peaceful mobilization against Lavalas.
He asked them to unite in order to save the country from economic and
political disaster. He speaks of the democratic nature of the Convergence's
opposition to the government. He recalls that he is a symbol and that he
will remain a symbol because he represents a president resulting from a
consensus versus an unprecedented electoral scandal. He also recalled that
in 1987 the country's vital democratic forces designated him as presidential
candidate. He said: "//I am the president of all Haitians. [applause] I am a
career professor.// (?When I am called to receive something, I applaud)" (2
min.)
9. Members of the Civil Society Initiative Group, GISC, participated in the
22 March Convergence mobilization. Professor Rosny Desroches, who
participated in this gathering, said: "//We are here for two reasons. First,
we want to express our solidarity with the Convergence. We want to say as a
civil society that we need democracy in this country and that there is no
democracy without an opposition. We need a responsible opposition that
thinks of the good of the country. We also want to tell the Convergence that
if it wants to bring an alternative to the country, it must do so through
the ballot, through elections.//" (2 min.)
10. Ads. (3 min.)
11. Economic segment by Georges Henry, Jr on the Monterrey economic summit.
(3 min.)
12. Ads, international news. (7 min.)
13. Aristide was received at the airport by several members of his
government including Prime Minister Yvon Neptune. He took the opportunity to
present an assessment of his participation in the Monterrey summit. He
explained the issues he discussed and quoted excerpts from texts adopted at
the Monterrey summit on supporting human development and producing wealth in
Third World countries. He reiterated his willingness to hold clean elections
in the country at the end of this year or early next year. (6 min.)
14. Report by Saint-Marc correspondent Nazaire Dupiton: Three people died
and 70 others were hospitalized in Marchand-Dessalines after they drank
poisoned coffee over the weekend. The 77-year-old coffee seller was also a
victim. (2 min.)
15. Report by Jacmel correspondent Voltaire Rene: A delegation from the
office of the police inspector general headed by Arvel Victor Jean-Baptiste
visited the Southeast Department over the weekend. The delegation met with
the department's police high command. Jean-Baptiste explains that his
objective for this year is the decentralization of his office. He took the
opportunity to explain that detained people must not be kept for more than
48 hours without appearing in court. (4 min.)
16. USAID communique on US assistance to Haiti through the PL480 programme
(1 min.)
17. News summary. (3 min.)
Source: Signal FM Radio, Port-au-Prince, in Creole 1230 gmt 25 Mar 02
/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.