a1475: Re: 1446/Lonbrit Ayisyen (fwd)

From: Fr. Michael Graves <harchim@yahoo.com>

Dear List members,
   Greetings from Haiti. Since Lonbrit Ayisyen has
written to me on list, I suppose I should respond on
list as well. I do, however, believe that Kathy Dorce
did a better job in responding than I can do, and she
has already done it.
   First of all, I agree that there would have been a
better word than "normal", but Lonbrit's immediate
conclusion that "normal" is the exact opposite of
"abnormal", makes it all  funny. I believe that
Kathy's response is the best: "abnormal" is not
necessarily the opposite of "normal". There are many
definitions and to take only one implies a somewhat
shallow understanding of words. As Kathy pointed out,
there are several definitions of "normal" (ie. sane,
majority, regular, etc.), and to use Lonbrit's method
of understanding would imply that "abnormal" and
"insane" mean the same thing. I know many abnormal
persons who are not insane! I know many "sane" persons
who are far from normal! Could we say that all the
sane persons voted for Lavalas and the insane ones did
not? (I personally feel that way, but I did not say
it!)
   Regarding a "compromise" between Lavalas and
Convergence, there is no need for one, nor is it
possible. In a democracy there is certainly room for
conversation and conferences, etc., but the word
"compromise" implies quite another thing. Why should
Lavalas "compromise" with a tiny minority of abnormal
and insane persons?
   Enough said!
         Father Michael (harchim)