a1508: The Art Lens (fwd)

From: Amy L Cornish <lueen3@juno.com>

Art through a U.S. lens: I have been struggling with the question of the
"lens from which we both actively view and receive our information."
Taking the visual arts as an example, while I do believe it is extremely
important to review, discuss and interpret Haitian art from a Haitian
perspective, I have to reveal the lens from which I have my own
connection to Haitian art.  I am a visual artist-as a painter, my
interest in Haitian art truly began as a connection on the lines of
formal artistic qualities. I know that I am a product of my culture, and
that I am working within the structure of Western society, but I consider
my interpretations first and foremost as those of a fellow artist. This
brings up the larger question of how one indentifies him / herself-and on
what basis one feels they may have an authority on a certain subject.
-Not meant as a philosophical can of worms.
Amy Cornish