a1617: BBC: OAS Resolution 806 will be implemented today with the arrival of three international jurists (fwd)

From: Robert Benodin <r.benodin@worldnet.att.net>

Haiti: Highlights of Radio Metropole news 1145 gmt 8 Apr 02
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; Apr 9, 2002

2. OAS Resolution 806 will be implemented today with the arrival of three
international jurists that were chosen by the organization to attempt to
shed light on the 17 December events. The three OAS experts will spend
several days investigating the violence that day that led to the torching of
the premises of the Democratic Convergence and homes of opposition leaders
by partisans of the regime. The OAS experts will be meeting with
representatives of all sectors, including the victims of the violence that
took place following an attempted coup d'etat that was denounced by the
Lavalas government. They will then make recommendations concerning the
authors of those acts and the compensation that should be given to the
victims. (1 min)
3. The ruling party promises to give full cooperation to the OAS juridical
experts. The Lavalas Family, FL, urges the OAS experts to work with
objectivity in carrying out their mission. The FL supports the action of the
government that facilitated the experts' visit to Haiti and hopes that the
crisis will be resolved. (2 min)
4. According to Gerard Pierre-Charles, the Democratic Convergence is ready
to cooperate with the OAS jurists who arrive in Port-au-Prince today. The
Convergence hopes that the OAS experts will be able to work freely and
without constraints. The opposition warns against any actions by scoundrels
to foil the OAS investigation. (2 min)
5. OAS Secretary General Cesar Gaviria presented his report on the
implementation of Resolution 806 to the permanent council on Friday 5 April.
Gaviria is pleased with the planned deployment of the OAS mission to Haiti.
(3 min)
6. President Jean-Bertrand Aristide has promised to end the crisis by
signing an agreement with the Democratic Convergence. The head of state,
speaking at a gathering in Cap-Haitien yesterday, denounced once again the
economic sanctions that have been imposed on the regime due to the contested
elections of May 2000. President Aristide, appearing optimistic about the
resolution of the current impasse, took the opportunity to make promises to
the people of Cap-Haitien. Aristide said, "//There is a lot of work to be
done on infrastructure in the North. For example, the road that leads to
Ouanaminthe is a necessity. If it were not for the economic blocking, you
would see how vehicles would go freely on that road. But the economic
blocking means that we cannot do it now. Later I will tell you what amount
of money is available for that. Nevertheless, I want to tell you that if it
were not for the economic blocking the construction of that road would have
been done a long time ago. We have not forgotten our duty, and we will do
it. You can see why I insist on the occasion of this historical meeting on
what took place here between the [name indistinct] president and President
Roosevelt when they signed an agreement to end the occupation of the country
while I am thinking of the signing of an agreement that will take place
between the opposition and myself so we may obtain economic unblocking and
find money to build roads.//" (2 min)
7. Ads (5 min)
8. President Aristide says that he understands the actions of the
scoundrels, who sometimes use violent means to denounce their living
conditions. According to the head of state, the scoundrels' attitude can be
explained by the unemployment that affects the majority of the population.
Aristide presents his economic-literacy programme as one of the means to
resolve the scoundrel problem. Aristide said the following during his trip
to the North Department. "//Hunger is not a good thing for a scoundrel. When
a scoundrel is out of work and is hungry then he is hungry twice. When you
are sick and hungry at the same time you are hungry four times. When you are
unemployed, you are sick and hungry, then you just have to behave like a
scoundrel.//" (4 min)
9. The new special UN rapporteur for human rights in Haiti could be
fulfilling his mission in Haiti. Jurist Louis (Joanet) hopes to diagnose the
situation before working on the human rights issue. He hopes to contact
Haitian leaders as soon as possible regarding his mission. (3 min)
10. The bill on regulating the cooperative sector will be submitted to the
parliament soon. The director of the National Council of Cooperatives told
Radio Metropole that the government is planning to set uniform interest
rates on term accounts. Henrio Petiote said that the Executive Branch is
trying to reassure the financial sector as a whole. (3 min)
11. The eighth congress of the charismatic movement ended yesterday. Tens of
thousands of people gathered to pray for Haiti under the theme: I believe in
the Holy Catholic Church. (4 min)
12. Ads, international news (11 min)
13. News summary, ads (3 min)
14. Economic segment with Kesner Pharel (6 min)
15. Ads (3 min)
16. Special Guest of the Day: Professor Leslie Manigat on his reason for
withdrawing from the Democratic Convergence. He is against the fact that the
Convergence is asking for Aristide to step down while at the same time they
want to negotiate with him. (16 min)
BBC Monitoring/ ¸ BBC