a1629: Re: a1625: Re: a1622: Dorce to Corbett.....a rose is a rose? (fwd)

From: LAKAT47@aol.com

In a message dated 04/10/2002 10:07:50 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
corbetre@webster.edu writes:

<< But what will be the STANDARD usage in English will not
 be determined by anyone's dictate, that will be a fact that linguists
 will know by recording the English language as it is used. That's the
 way languages are. >>
,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I agree with you that standard usage cannot be dictated but if enough people
spell it that way, it becomes standard.  People usually want to use the right
word and the right spelling, assuming they know what it is.  I am only
saying, they can't know unless they see it enough times.  I hardly think the
spelling "Vodou" will confuse anyone and it might open a few eyes.  You DO
understand that most Americans think it's a joke, don't you?  I believe it's
important to distinguish between the joke Hollywood has made of Vodou and
real Vodou.  Spelling it the Haitian way is one means to illustrate that.

As you say, it may or may not make a whit of difference how anyone spells it.
 But it is always good to make an effort.  At art festivals, I teach people
every time they comment on a Vodou painting in ignorance.  And even in
California, I am surprised at how many people know the religion and
understand the subject of the paintings without explanation from me.  Little
by little.  And even more surprising is how many people who know nothing
about Vodou are drawn to the power of the paintings and feel the need to have
one.  Each one of these people knows more now about Haiti and Vodou than they
did before they saw Martino's paintings.  They may not know how I spell Vodou
when I talk about it, but they do get the message that it's not a joke.

Kathy~