a1636: Police chief gives awards to 'do right' students (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Thu, Apr. 11, 2002

Do the Right Thing
Police chief gives awards to 'do right' students

Ten students from schools throughout Miami-Dade County were named the
February winners of the Do The Right Thing Program, sponsored by the Miami
Police Department, British Airways, The Herald and WTVJ-NBC 6.

Winners were selected from hundreds of nominations submitted to the program
for the month of February.

Chief Raul Martinez of the Miami Police Department presented the students
with their awards at a special ceremony March 20.

The awards were co-sponsored by Don and B. Landon Carlin, Carnival Cruise
Lines, Cookies By Design South Miami, Metrozoo and Pizza Hut, who helped pay
for, or donated, prizes to the winners and T-shirts for all nominees.

Additionally, each month's ''Special Recognition'' winner receives a free
trip to London courtesy of British Airways.

''Special Recognition'' for February went to:

DARLINE PIERRE, 12th grade, Jackson High:

Darline and her family migrated to the U.S. from Haiti in 1994 after her
father's business was burned down, their home was ransacked and burned, her
mother was beaten and the family went into hiding, all because of their
political views.

The first two years in this country, the family continued to live in fear
after what they'd suffered in Haiti, which left Darline's parents afraid to
send the children to school.

In 1996, Darline was able to continue her education. She worked hard to
learn English and overcome the many obstacles facing her, including being
taunted by other children for the way she talked and dressed.

Darline is now a shining star, excelling academically and giving back to her
community. Dedicated to children and the elderly, particularly in Little
Haiti, Darline goes to homes of the elderly, helping them with their meals
and providing spiritual and emotional support.

She guides, mentors, protects and teaches children in the after-school
program of the Grace Haitian United Methodist Church and even created an
after-school conversational Spanish class for them.

She also teaches Sunday School to a group of 25 children between the ages of
5 and 10.

Additionally through her church, Darline organizes special events for the
children for Christmas and Mother's Day and she created ''Holy-ween,'' an
alternative to Halloween where she organizes a dinner and skits for the
youth.

As secretary of the Youth Group, she has organized fundraising activities
like candy sales and car washes. She created a singing group and dance group
who perform at churches and nursing homes, and also serves as a Big Sister
of Greater Miami mentoring a young girl.

When Darline found out about her teacher's goal to raise $7,000 for a church
project to help a town in Haiti start a chicken farm, Darline started
selling candy to donate to the cause.

In addition to being on the Honor Roll with a GPA of 3.6, some of Darline's
awards and honors include a Medal for Outstanding Achievement in English,
Certificates of Achievement in World History, Spanish, Biology, Health/Life
Management, Student of the Week and Outstanding Foreign Language Student.

MARQUONEISHA WILSON, third grade, Skyway Elementary:

Marquoneisha is a new student at Skyway Elementary having been in numerous
other schools.

She has had to face a lot of challenges in her young life, including being
placed in a foster home.

Marquoneisha has struggled in the past with her behavior and academics but
has made a complete turnaround.

A young girl who used to resolve situations and vent her anger by fighting,
Marquoneisha is now a peacemaker.

When asked what one thing she would change about herself, Marquoneisha
answered, ``I would go back to my other schools and tell my teachers I am
sorry for fighting, not doing my work and causing trouble. Then I would show
them my new report card and how my grades are better because my attitude is
better.''

Marquoneisha now exemplifies positive school spirit, good citizenship and an
overall A-plus attitude.

For more information about the Do The Right Thing Program,