a1631: RE: a1627: RE: a1622: More on Arthur's book (fwd)

From: Karen Davis <kdavis@marygrove.edu>

	Charles Arthur's lovely little book (Haiti in Focus) has already
made it into my list of required undergraduate readings--and we all love it!
Last fall I heard that this book would be available in January or February,
so I ordered it for my special class on the works of Edwidge Danticat, which
began February 2, and ends this Friday with her visit to our campus for a
public meeting and a private class with the students who've been reading her
work.
	Even though I've traveled in Haiti, have a drummer husband who could
visit the class, and have a good stock of videos and slides to give students
the background they needed to better understand Danticat, I really wanted
them to have a small, easy-to-read (in one week) book they can keep as a
source on Haiti. Arthur's book really did the job--perfectly! And at a cheap
price, which my students also appreciated, since they also had to buy
Danticat's 3 books. I loved the political economy, the names of musicians,
the color photos, the really well-drawn maps, the photos, and the basic
history--especially the U.S. involvement, which always amazes & horrifies
our students. I guess I would have preferred an extra 2-3 pages on art, but
after all, I do have my videos & slides for that!
	Thanks, Charles Arthur, for giving me & my students exactly what we
needed!
Karen

Karen F. Dimanche Davis, Ph.D.
Associate Professor and Head of Humanities Department
Marygrove College
Detroit, Michigan 48221 USA
Telephone: 313-927-1352
email: kdavis@marygrove.edu