a1644: Re: a1642: Re: a1633: The Author Cover (fwd)

From: Amy L Cornish <lueen3@juno.com>

I found the cover of Author's book very appropriate and also gives us
some visual iconography that has many angles in Haitian culture.  There
is a photo of a young boy, perhaps 7, he is in an outfit that could be a
school uniform, he holds in his hands a guitare that is fabricated out of
an oil can, or gas can, that has USA printed on it. He stands before a
door which is red, and a blue wall. (the Haitian flag colors, I saw the
image of the child as a modern version of the palmier and canon that
normally grace the center of Haiti's flag.) The recycled material of the
guitar, shows up all over in Haitian culture. Especially the children, we
know that many Haitian children create wonderful toys out of whatever
they can. I really liked the cover, I didnt realize this was a new book
right away, I saw the cover in my local library and just picked it up.
Amy Cornish