a1650: Re: a1625: Re: a1622: Corbett responds to Dorce on spelling of the name...o... (fwd)

From: Avatarase@aol.com
    the name...o...

To Bob Corbett and Kathy Dorce

I quite understand what you are saying Ms. Dorce. It is true that the word
voodoo has taken on massively distorted meanings over time. The problem is
WHY this is true much more than THAT it is.

There are many other African historical words suffering the same fate, and
for all the same reasons. The era of [overt and physical] slavery have left
really far-reaching scars on the 'face' of the African people who now inhabit
the United States as African-Americans [and worldwide ].
     MANY of the problems we face in the social/cultural context are classic
'victim' mentality problems. Look at all the usual stages of victimhood from
any crime (especially physical/psychological abuse) and you will see so much
of who we are behaving like as an American racial group.
     Our fundamental self-esteem and basic man/womanhood was attacted and
suffered horrible assault. We were literally and figuratively raped. We are
literally and figuratively reactive victims at this point in our history.
     It is sad that it is going on with such a profound lack of awareness on
our parts though. We so much need to  shake off the constant rhetoric of our
victimhood and 'us against them' preoccupation. We don't have time. After
all, one spends his/her time on those tasks that most need their attention in
the course of one's day/life. What then should those 'things' be? We each
have to take time to decide and then act accordingly.
     Concentrating on griping won't serve each of us either as much as
realizing that we are HUMAN PEOPLE WITH PURPOSE AND JOY TO SHARE AND CHANGE
THE WORLD WITH THROUGH OUR PRESENCE THIS LIFETIME. You know?
     I have moved to Europe. And within these last two years, I have become
aware how differently people (BLACK PEOPLE) behave when their basic value as
humans is foremost instead of their color. Yes there are problems here too,
but they are not the BASIC or foundational concept. It shows me what can
happen when you are valued by what you do and whether you are doing anything
to add value to the life going on around you.
     THIS is one of the kinds of atmospheres that has to exist before the
respect of one another's religions can become widespread. Respect for each
other has to come first. It doesn't matter WHAT I call your religion or even
my own if I don't mean you well when I say/write it. INTENT is everything. It
is what is in your heart that matters.
     When one's behavior exudes love and caring for all those you meet, each
and every one of those you have moved among comes away feeling more positive.
(Even when they themselves aren't aware of it... the effect goes out into the
world.) Ever heard the one about "thouhts are things"? LOL  Everything one
does, EVERYTHING, helps create the atmosphere on the earth at that time, the
general feeling of that point in the history or where one is. YOU are why it
is like it is in your town. EACH of US.
     WHAT IS IT we can each do to ensure that the association with the word
that canotes our valued images will be revered? THOSE are the things we each
have to be about right now, today.
     THEN the ripple behind our own 'flowing' through the world will be cool,
pleasant joy that all will be affected by.
     Come on... let's get on with it, we have a NEW awareness of ourselves to
create.
     With love and light
     Mickey Thompson

[BOB, LOVE the list.]