a1656: Spelling for Haitian religion

From: OLOFFSONRAM@aol.com

I think the spelling of vodou reflects the problems of putting an oral
tradition on paper.
Especially a language that 1) wants to be spelled phonetically, 2) has a
French
tradition and 3) is attaining an American tradition.
I 've heard peasants use the word vodou with an <n> sound at the end. Its
like
the discussions we use to have on whether its <manbo> or <mambo>. Both,
I'm
sure are legitimate. I respect Courlander's use of the word <vodun> and I
have
heard it's use but its not what I hear in my "circle" so I don't use it. I
use
<vodou> as in <Puritan Vodou>. People also say <voodoo> in English. I'ld
say
that makes it legitimate, in English, though we might argue on the
definition
of the word. <Vodun> does undoubtedly exist however, probably more with
elders.
Should one version be excluded for the sake of conveniance?
If you've been isolated in Cap Haitian, your  Creole grammar book is going
be conceived differently than if you come from Port-au-Prince. Did anyone
hear
the interview of the OAS representative from Dominica? I was surprised at
the
Creole I heard him speak. He sounded like a local, especially when he
showed
impatience with the repetitive questions!

Richard Morse