a1664: Re: a1658: Re: a1646: Voodoo chile, Vaudun, Voudou (fwd)

From: Lois E Wilcken <makandal-ny@juno.com>

A question for the linguists about accenting syllables of Haitian words.
I did some consulting on a play last year.  The director asked about the
pronunciation of Vodou words, including accenting.  I was at a loss on
some of them, then remembered that languages stress syllables in various
ways, and perhaps some do not stress syllables at all.  How does this
work in Haitian?

Lois Wilcken, Ph.D.
La Troupe Makandal - New York City's Center for Haitian Drum and Dance
621 Rutland Road, Brooklyn NY 11203
718-953-6638 / makandal-ny@juno.com
www.makandal.org