a1675: Haitian groups develop unity at convention (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Haitian groups develop unity at convention

By Gregory Lewis
Staff Writer
Posted April 15 2002

MIAMI · Maggie Goldstein and George Bourisquot were huddled outside the
hotel conference room Sunday morning giddy about what had taken place over
the past three days.

"It was very insightful," said Goldstein of the Haitian-American Alliance of
New York. "The ambience, the camaraderie, the bringing of Haitian nonprofits
and for-profits [organizations] together to realize this goal of developing
a national agenda, well, it was just inspiring."

Goldstein and other Haitian-Americans, attending their first national agenda
convention, left this city Sunday with a sense of pride, common cause and a
plan to end U.S. policy detaining Haitian immigrants.

"For us to succeed," said Rick Swartz, who heads a Washington, D.C.-based
public strategies firm, "we have to mount a national campaign ... similar to
work you've done before to stop detention of Haitians."

In December, the Immigration and Naturalization Service changed its policy
toward Haitians in an attempt to prevent a run from Haiti to Florida.

Under the policy change, INS began holding most Haitian refugees in
detention until they received full political asylum -- a process that can
take months. Previously, INS would release asylum applicants early who met
minimum standards during the asylum process.

Immigrant advocates have sued the INS on behalf of the Haitians, saying the
agency discriminates on the basis of race and nationality in making release
decisions. About 240 Haitians were detained in Krome detention center in
December because of the change.

Swartz urged Haitian-Americans to lobby local officials through letters and
calls to urge them to pressure Gov. Jeb Bush and President Bush to end the
detention policy.

He also called for the building of coalitions and the development of point
people and agencies to inform Haitian-Americans on legal progress.

"We have to take to the streets, organize demonstrations and protests, not
just at Krome and at INS, but outside the governor's office," Swartz said.
"Make him feel the heat. We're trying to free the Haitians."

Dina Paul Park, executive director of the National Coalition of Haitian
Rights, noted other goals emerged during talks, such as advancing
social-service agencies that aid Haitians, working toward a more cohesive
strategy in supporting Haiti, improving the understanding of the American
education system and developing a support system for community-based
organizations. The New York-based coalition put together the three-day
conference, which had 175 attendees.

"The detention issue will take center stage," she told a breakfast gathering
of about 50 conventioneers. "But I will go out on a limb and pledge the
resources of my organization to get social services agencies to organize and
be more focused on economic development.

"Our social service agencies provide services which teach people how to fill
out immigration forms. We need to move beyond that."

Herold Dasque, executive director of Haitian-Americans United for Progress
in Cambria Heights, N.Y., said meeting with other community-based
organizations made him feel less isolated. "I gathered a lot of information,
a lot we didn't know," he said.

Paul Park said the conference was ambitious, but she was satisfied strides
were made and things were accomplished. "We got folks in the same room and
put information into the hands of people who are focused on Haitians," she
said. "We have a national connection, across cities, to work on issues.

"We're moving forward. We have a base, a consolidated and creative base. We
have a real infrastructure and sustenance to move forward."

Paul Park said now the real work begins.

"We have to learn to play the political game," she said, referring to the
U.S. policy on Haitian immigration. "We're vulnerable, but we're going to
change our vulnerability and learn to be politically savvy."

Gregory Lewis can be reached at glewis@sun-sentinel.com or 954-356-4203.