a1720: Re: a1705: RE: a1697: Duperval in Florida-Legally ???? (fwd)

From: Tttnhm@aol.com

In a message dated 4/18/2002 2:47:34 PM W. Europe Daylight Time, Bob Walton
writes:

<< During the 1994 military operation to restore Haiti's legal government, the
 US and the Cedras "government" reached an agreement that provided guarantees
 for the personal safety of many of its senior scum in exchange for avoiding
 a blood-bath.  Would the Haitian people preferred the alternative?

I thought the United Nations mandate for the military intervention in 1994
was for the 'multinational force to establish a secure and safe environment
for the return of the constitutional government' - or words to that effect.

What the US administration/military wanted to arrange with its proxies is
something quite different.

As to what the Haitian people preferred, I would guess that they preferred
that the US administration told the coup people not to do the coup in the
first place.

But, as we have seen recently in the case of Venezuela, the US leadership
believes that "Legitimacy is something that is conferred not just by a
majority of the voters, however."

Can't be more explicit than that...

Yeah, not even in Florida..........

What is this word 'legally'?