a1746: Re: a1737: Re "Treasure Island"& Tortue: Slavin (fwd)

From: Jim Frisken <jfrisken@hotmail.com>

There certainly was a history of pirates on La Tortue during the seventeenth
century, but I don't know if Stevenson was ever there.  In the 1970s I was
sailing in the British Virgin Islands and the story there was that Stevenson
lived for a time on Norman Island while he was writing "Treasure Island".
Norman Island has three "treasure caves", which are located along the
shoreline.   I rowed back into one of them ( I didn't see any treasure).
There is also a small island nearby called Dead Man's Chest, which is also
associated with the story of Treasure Island.  I suspect for every famous
story or legend there are many claims as to where it supposedly took place.
Jim