a1761: NATIONAL TELEVISION REVIEW OF WEEK OF APRIL 8-12, 2002 (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

BASED ON SUMMARY PREPARED BY THE BUREAU OF COMMUNICATIONS OF THE NATIONAL PALACE OF NATIONAL TELEVISION’S REVIEW FOR THE WEEK OF APRIL 8-12, 2002:

A COMMEMORATIVE BILL IS LAUNCHED BY THE PRESIDENT OF THE REPUBLIC IN THE MEMORY OF THE 1801 CONSTITUTION TO HONOUR TOUSSAINT LOUVERTURE.
On April 11th, at the Money Museum in Cap-Haïtien, a commemorative bill was launched by the President of the Republic, together with the First Lady of the Republic, in the memory of the 1801 Constitution. In the context of his travels in the North, the President wanted to underline the 199th anniversary of the death of the Precursor of National Independence in a special way. The new 20 gourdes bill is bearing the effigy of Toussaint Louverture in order to honor the latter.

MEETING BETWEEN PRESIDENT ARISTIDE AND UNION OFFICIALS FROM THE 9 GEOGRAPHIC DEPARTMENTS OF THE COUNTRY IN THE NATIONAL PALACE ON APRIL 11th
The main claim from the union sector is their need to represent Haiti at the Geneva conference, in Switzerland. The union officials also took the occasion to put the stress on the poor quality of many national roads. The Leader of the State promised that their demands would be heard and that the concerned Ministers would follow up on that.

THIRD ANNIVERSARY OF FANM YO LA
April 11th was the third anniversary of the organization Fanm yo la. For the occasion, the leaders of this group of women gave a press conference in which they explained the achievements of Fanm yo la in their struggle for the integral respect of women’s rights in Haiti.

 CLOSING OF THE SEMINAR ON CHILDREN’S RIGHTS
On April 11th and 12th, 30 department directors from the Minister of Social Affairs participated in a seminar about defending children’s rights with the implementation of the new law passed by Parliament which prohibits abuse of children. This seminar was organized by the Minister of Social Affairs, in collaboration with UNICEF. The participants must get the word out in their respective districts and work to implement measures that would prevent abuse of children and reinforce the rights of children.

REMINDER OF THE SAND PITS OPERATING STANDARDS
The Mines and Energy Bureau continues to remind the population about the danger in operating sand pits in an anarchical way. The MEB general director, Geffrard Jean, asks sand pits owners to respect the current standards.

THE KID MEMBERS SIT-IN
About thirty members of the Democratic Unit Confederation, KID, organized a sit-in in front of the Court to demand the release of their supporters who are in prison. These supporters are accused of being part of organized gangs and of working to destablize the security of the nation.

TESTIMONIES FROM THE VICTIMS OF THE DECEMBER 17TH FAILED COUP D’ÉTAT
The Coup d’État that failed on December 17th, 2001 made many victims in the civil population and among policemen. We can still see the effects of this bloody event. Many policemen still suffer from multiple injuries and ask for justice and social repair.

PRESIDENT ARISTIDE MEETS WITH THE 3 OAS JURISTS WHO ARE IN HAITI INVESTIGATING THE DECEMBER 17TH FAILED COUP D’ÉTAT
Tuesday, in the National Palace, President Jean-Bertrand Aristide met with the members of the Organization of American States Commission, who are investigating the events of December 17th. The members of this commission declared they were impressed with the President’s decision when he asked the OAS to send a commission that will investigate the December 17th, 2001 failed coup d’État. This visit will last two weeks.

THE MINISTER OF SOCIAL AFFAIRS INAUGURATES A CHILDREN’S MUSEUM
When President Aristide held an event at the National Palace honoring the creativity of children, he promised to open a museum showcasing the wonderful art and artisana created by children.  The Minister of Social Affairs, Eude Saint-Preux Craan, inaugurated this museum called Kay Timoun, on Wednesday, April 10th, in the Louis Joseph Janvier College, in Carrefour. The Minister of Social Affairs announced that they would open a library on the premises in the near future as well.

HMA CONFERENCE IN HAITI
Haiti 2002: News on infectiology. This is the theme of the annual Haitian Medical Association conference. The scientific conference that started on Tuesday, in Montana Hotel, in Pétion-Ville, will last for four days. The Minister of Public Health, Dr. Henry-Claude Voltaire, and many other leaders from international health organizations were present for the opening ceremony.

MANY BILLS ARE VOTED FOR BY THE SENATE
On April 12th, the Senate of the Republic passed many bills related to the creation of courts in three municipalities: Miragoane, Côteaux and Croix des Bouquets.
Senators Lans Clonès and Gérald Gilles asked the commission that will decide whether or not the parliamentary immunity of Senator Dany Toussaint will be withdrawn, to end the deliberations. According to these two members of Parliament, only justice can decide whether or not Senator Toussaint is guilty.

THE MINISTER OF JUSTICE AND THE DIRECTOR GENERAL OF THE POLICE WILL PROBABLY BE SUMMONED BY THE SENATE
A special meeting took place on Wednesday, April 10th, at the Senate of the Republic. At the end of the meeting, the Assembly vice-president, Senator Yvon Feuilles, declared that the High Chamber was getting ready to summon many high figures. Among these are the Minister of Justice and the Director General of the police. They will explain how they will contribute in helping the Haitian State to solve land conflicts.

ALFA FORUM SEMINAR AT THE BENOIT BATRAVILLE COLLEGE
>From April 9 to 12, 2002, an alphabetization seminar was organized by the Haitian Foundation for Human Progress, under supervision of the Secretary of State for Alphabetization. Over 50 instructors took part in this session that was held at the Benoit Batravile College, in Laboule.

THE LEADER OF THE STATE VISITS FOUNDATION VINCENT
During his stay in Cap-Haïtien last week-end, President Aristide visited Foundation Vincent, a Salesian congregation organization.  The President expressed his appreciation for the education he himself had received at this institution years ago.

VICTIMS FROM THE DECEMBER 17TH FAILED COUP D’ÉTAT TALK
Policeman Jean Dieugrand was hit by many bullets in his leg while he was trying to fend off the attackers near the National Palace during the December 17th failed coup d’etat attack. He is still suffering from injuries.  Policeman Duc Jacques UHL was also hit by many bullets that day and is still under medical care and has not been able to return to work yet.

THE MINISTER OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS AND RELIGION MEETS MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT
Under an invitation from the Chamber of Deputies Commission of External Affairs, the Minister of Foreign Affairs, Joseph Philippe Antonio went to Parliament on Friday, April 12th. Minister Antonio explained the orientations of the Haitian diplomacy to the members of the Commission.

A MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT ASKS MEMBERS OF THE OAS COMMISSION TO OPEN AN INQUIRY IN HIS TOWN
The Deputy of Ganthier, Jean-Bertrand Mathurin, asked members of the OAS jurists Commission to come in his town to open an inquiry on the many actions committed by the attackers on December 17th, 2001. Deputy Mathurin referred to the victims, especially children who lost their parents in this tragedy.

ELECTIONS IN THE CHAMBER OF DEPUTIES
A new team was placed in the lead of the Chamber of Deputies Bureau, after elections of last February. The questor Yves Cristallin drew up the balance sheet of the activities that took place since then. Deputy Cristallin took the occasion to explain the role of the questorship.

THE MINISTRY OF TOURISM ORGANIZES A COMPETITION ON ECO-TOURISM FOR JOURNALISTS IN COLLABORATION WITH THE SECRETARY OF STATE FOR COMMUNICATION
The Ministry of Tourism, in collaboration with the Secretary of State for Communication, organized a competition on Eco-tourism for Haitian journalists. This competition will allow journalists to contribute to the development of the Haitian patrimony.