a1790: MIAMI'S SECOND ANNUAL HAITIAN CULTURAL HERITAGE MONTH (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

NOTE FROM LEONIE:

I am simply forwarding this information. If you have additional questions
please DO NOT ASK ME. You can either send an e-mail to Rosytou@aol.com or
call the numbers provided throughout the text: 305-365-6490 or 305-375-1532.
Thanks Leonie

MIAMI'S SECOND ANNUAL HAITIAN CULTURAL HERITAGE MONTH
BEGINS MAY 1, 2002

MIAMI, FLORIDA (April 15, 2002) -  May is designated as Haitian Cultural
Heritage Month and throughout the month of May South Florida will
participate in the celebration of the performing, literary, folk, visual and
culinary arts of Haiti.  Under the patronage of the Executive Office of
Miami Dade Mayor, Alex Penelas, the Board of County Commissioners and the
Haitian American Cultural Society, this month long event will open a high
profile window onto the rich and diverse aspects of Haitian culture.  The
celebration will also provide a mirror for Haitian Americans to celebrate
and reflect on the their traditions while emphasizing the presentation of
the finer aspects of the Haitian arts to the South Florida Community at
large, as well as visitors to the region.  Programs, performances and
exhibitions are planned
for diverse venues and locations throughout South Florida including, Little
Haiti, North Miami, Miami Beach, Miami's Design District, Lincoln Road,
Coral Gables, South Dade and Broward.

>Haitian Cultural Heritage Month celebrations will begin on Wednesday May
>1,2002, which is also Haitian Labor Day in Haiti.  The month's activities
>will begin with a Press Conference by Mayor Alex Penelas at the FIU North
>Wolfe Center and will continue throughout the month with art exhibits,
>dance performances, gallery nights, poetry readings and more, ending on May
>31 with a closing reception at Mango's on the Beach.  In honor of Haitian
>Labor Dayon May 1, a Job Fair presented by the South Florida Workforce will
>also take place at the FIU North Wolfe Center - Panther Square
>
>The series of countywide events will compliment the significant historical
>events that occurred in the month of May.  May 20,1743 is the birth date of
>Haitian General Toussaint L'Overture, who initiated the first organized
>large-scale military battle against the Spanish, British and French armies.

Even though L'Overture did not succeed, his actions did pave the way for
others to follow and lead the country to independence. On May 16-18, 1804
Jean Jacques Dessalines and Alexander Petion, leaders of two rivals groups
in Haiti, met and joined forces to defeat Napoleon. This union later led to
the defeat of the French and the creation of the first Black Republic in the
world in 1804.  The Haitian flag was created on May 18, 1803 with the date
remaining as one of the most significant days on the Haitian calendar, which
today is celebrated as Haitian Flag Day.

>The Haitian American Cultural Society is comprised of Haitian Americans
>whose mission is to research and disseminate all elements of the Haitian
>culture in order to bridge the gap between different generations of
>Haitians in the Diaspora.  For more information on Haitian Cultural
>Awareness Month and the Haitian American Cultural Society please call the
>hotline at 305-365-6490.
                         -#
May is Haitian Cultural Heritage Month
HCHM Calendar of Events
Haitian Cultural Heritage Month May 2002 will open an unprecedented window
in South Florida onto the rich and diverse aspects of Haitian culture in a
countywide celebration of the fine and performing arts, literature, folk
arts and cuisine of Haiti.  Presented by the Haitian American Cultural
Society, the month long event will provide a framework for Haitian Americans
to celebrate and reflect on the their traditions while emphasizing the
presentation of the finer aspects of the arts, culture and cuisine of Haiti
to the South Florida Community at large, as well as visitors to the region.

Programs, performances and exhibitions are in planning for diverse venues
and locations including various public Libraries, Little Haiti, North
Miami,Miami Beach, Miami's Design District, Lincoln Road, Coral Gables,
South Dade and Broward.  For more information Haitian American Cultural
Society Hotline at at 305-365-6490 or the Emeline Alexis at the Mayor's
Office at 305-375-1532.

Wednesday May 1 - Haitian Labor Day
Press Conference/ Proclomations/Job Fair
Venue:  FIU Campus North
Wolfe Center
3000 Biscayne Bay Blvd
North Miami, Fl 33181
11am
Haitian Cultural Heritage Month is officially kicked off by Miami-Dade Mayor
Alex Penelas, during an 11am Press Conference that will include
proclamations
and honors for the month long celebration.  Area educators, community, civic
and political leaders as well as the general public is invited to attend.The
press conference will be immediately followed by a private luncheon that
will feature authentic Haitian cuisine and entertainment.  In honor of
Haitian Labor Day, the day's activities will begin at 10am with a Job Fair
sponsored by the South Florida Workforce.

Friday May 3
Haitian Art Exhibit featuring local artists
Venue:  Jacmel Art Gallery
2301 Biscayne Blvd, Miami
305-573-1631
Opening and Reception

Saturday May 4
Dade County Library Haitian Cultural Heritage Month Event Kick off
Venue:  Little River Library Branch, Little Haiti
160 NE 79th Street
Miami, Fl
305-751-8689
11am
Little River Branch Anniversary will celebrate their 40th Anniversary and
Haitian Heritage Month with a day of activities including musical
entertainment by Muzik Etc. and Storytelling by Lucrece-Louisdhon-Louinis.
Artist Edouard Duvall-Carrie will also be on hand to introduce the
historical
contribution of Haitian General Toussiant L'Overture to children and parents
with a special participation craft presentation.

French Poetry Reading and Discussion
Venue:  Broward Main Library
100 South Andrews Avenue
Ft. Lauderdale Fl
6p-8:30p
French reading and discussion of the poem "La Pluie Et Ses Tambours by
Jean-Max Calvin

Design District Gallery Walk
Venue:  Design District featuring the Bernice Steinbaum Gallery, Power
Studios and The Living Room
Haitian Cultural Heritage Month kicks off the Opening night of the Design
District's Gallery Walk.  David Wollack's private collection of Haitian
Cultural Month's featured Haitian Artist Edouard Duval-Carrie is showcased.
In honor of Haitian Cultural Heritage month, participating galleries will
showcase Haitian art as well as a Modern Art Exhibit.
Venue:  Power Studios, Design District
3701 NE 2nd Avenue Miami Fl 33156
305-576-1336
Private Reception
6pm-7pm
Open to the public beginning at 7pm
Venue:  The Living Room, Design District
8315 West Flagler Street
Miami, Fl
305-262-7111
9pm until
Bal Populare Featuring Edouard Duval-Carrier
Sponsored by Barbancourt
Art, Food, Music and Dancing
Venue:  Bernice Steinbaum Gallery, Design District
3550 N. Miami Ave, Miami Fl 33127
305-573-2700
Open to the public beginning at 7pm
Haitian Art Exhibit

Sunday, May 5
Book Reading
Book reading by Haitian author Michele Oriole
Venue:  Library Mapou
Little Haiti
5919 NE 2nd Avenue
Miami, Fl 33137
305-757-9922
1pm

Taste of Haiti Culinary Art Experience
Venue:  41st NE 1st Court

Monday May 6
Venues:  Various Public Schools
School programs begin including Student Bowl, including Children's mural
painting

Haitian Masters Art Exhibit
Venue:  Miami Design District
The Nader Family presents the Haitian Masters
Tuesday May 7
Dade County Library Storytelling
Venue:  Country Walk Library
15433 SW 137th Avenue
Miami, Fl
786-293-4577
11a
Lucrece Louisdhon-Louines, a native of Haiti, is a professional
storyteller,dancer and librarian.  Her performance is marked by a vivacious
and enchanting style that incorporates ethnic dance, stories and drumming

Dade County Library Event
Venue:  Lemon City Library Branch
430 NE 61st Street
Miami, Fl
305-757-0662
4p
Artist Edouard Duval-Carrie will introduce Toussaint L'Overture to children
and parents with a special participatory craft.

Jewelry Expo and Reception
Venue:  Perricone's Restaurant
Downtown/Brickell
15 SE 10th Street
Miami Fl
305-374-9449
6
Art and Jewelry Reception
Wednesday May 8
Michele Frisch Art Exhibit
Venue:  Banco Sandander
1401 Brickell Avenue
Featuring the work of famed Haitian Artist

Thursday May 9
Art Exhibit Reception
Venue:   Office of the Haitian Consulate
259 SW 13th Street
Miami, Fl 33130
305-859-2003

Children's Mural Painting with Edouard Duval-Carrier
Toussaint L'Overture Elementary

Tap Tap Restaurant
Drink Specials and Music in celebration of Haitian Cultural Heritage Month

Friday May 10
Art Exhibit
Venue:  French Alliance
1414 Coral Way
Coral Gables, Fl
305-859-8760
6p-9p
Local artist exhibit

DASH Program>Venue:  Design and Architectural School Senior High, Miami
4002 NE 2nd Avenue
Miami
305-573-7135
Haitian Artist Philip Dodard begins second annual interactive arts series
and program with the students of DASH.

Saturday May 11
Literary Evening
Venue:  French Alliance
1414 Coral Way
Coral Gables, Fl
305-859-8760
6p-9p

Sunday May 12
CACEC- Cultural and Artistic Committee of Christ the King Church
South Dade Mothers Day Event
Venue:  Coral Reef Senior High School
10101 SW 152nd Street
South Miami
305-233-7215
6pm

The Cultural and Artistic Committee of Christ the King Church (CACEC),
hostthis annual Mother's Day celebration.  Entertainment includes Haitian
music performances as well as an artist exhibition and reception.

Monday May 13
DASH Program continues
Venue:  Design and Architectural School Senior High, Miami
4002 NE 2nd Avenue
Miami
305-573-7135
Weeklong DASH Interactive Student Program continues featuring Haitian Artist
Philip Dodard.

Tuesday May 14
DASH Program continues

Haitian Photo Exhibit
Venue:  MOCA
770 NR 125th Street
North Miami
305-893-6211
6p
Coordinated by Miami Herald Photo Journalist Magee Steber

Lynn William Rouzier Haitian Dance Group
Venue:  North Miami Beach Theater

Wednesday May 15
DASH Program continues

Lynn William Rouzier Haitian Dance Group
Venue:  North Miami Beach Theater
Thursday May 16
DASH Program continues

Lynn William Rouzier Haitian Dance Group
Venue:  Miami Shores Theater

Friday May 17
VIP Reception
Venue:  Tropical Marina
1601 N. Bay Causeway
Miami
305-867-9310
6pm
VIP Reception featuring Haitian music and cuisine.

FIU Dance Performance Featuring Louines Louinis Haitian Dance Theater
Venue:  FIU Biscayne Bay Campus
Mary Ann Wolfe Theatre
8pm
FIU Department of Theatre and Dance and The Louines Louinis Dance Theatre
will hold its First Annual Haitian Dance Performance, honoring and
celebrating Haitian Cultural Heritage Month and Haitian Flag Day (May 18)

Pre-Flag Day Celebration
Venue:  Veye Yo Headquarters
North Miami and 54th Street

Saturday May 18/Haitian Flag Day
Haitian Flag Day Mass
Notre Dame
110 NE 62nd Street
Little Haiti
305-751-6289

** Compafest
Venue:  Bayfront Park
Annual Music festival

Greasy Pole/Kermesse
This time honored tradition becomes the focal point of the day's events
anactivities with the competition getting underway just past noon.  Everyone
will want to see who can make it to the top of the Greasy Pole, where a bag
of money awaits.  Radio Karnaval's remote broadcasts give radio listeners a
play by play account of the Greasy Pole competition.  Adjacent to the
grounds of Compafest, this event promises to provide both a window and
mirror to festival attendees, young and old alike

Dade County Library Event Author Meet and Greet
Venue:  Northeast Library Branch
2930 Aventura Blvd
Aventura, Fl
305-375-5047
2pm
Meet Haitian Author Award winning Haitian Author Joanne Hyppolite shares her
most recent novel, "Ola Shakes it Up" during author meet and greet.
Dade County Library Storytelling
Venue:  Lemon City Library
430 NE 61st Street
Miami
305-757-0662
2pm
Haitian Author and Storyteller, Lillian Nerette Louis brings a wealth of
traditional stories to delight young and old alike.

** Miami Dade Community College Parade / Broward Parade

Sunday May 19
Gospel Sunday
Venue:  Morningside Park
Miami
2p
Featuring Local Haitian Gospel groups.  Guest:  Gospel recording artist,
Kirk Franklin

Lincoln Road Haitian Festival
Venue:  Lincoln Road, South Beach
10am-3pm
Featured as part of Lincoln Road outdoor series; event features Haitian
music, arts, crafts and food vendors.

Author Meet and Greet
Venue:  Libreri Mapou, Little Haiti
5919 Northeast 2nd Avenue
Miami
5p
Featuring Haitian Author Michelle Oriol

Monday May 20
Photo Exhibit
Venue:  Casa Grande
Brickell Avenue

Haitian Film Festival
Venue:  Light Box Theatre (part of the Miami Light Project)
3000 Biscayne Blvd.
Miami
305-576-4350
Begins at 7p
Movie and discussion, featuring film on Haitian Folklore.
Begins at 7p

Tuesday May 21
Haitian Film Festival
Venue:  Light Box Theatre (part of the Miami Light Project)
3000 Biscayne Blvd.
Miami
305-576-4350
Begins at 7p
Haitian Documentary

Wednesday May 22
Haitian Film Festival
Venue:  Light Box Theatre (part of the Miami Light Project)
3000 Biscayne Blvd.
Miami
305-576-4350
Begins at 7p
Documentary on Haitian artists.

Thursday May 23
Friday, April 26
Honorary Haitian Awards Dinner
7pm
Non-Haitians who have contributed to the advancement of the Haitian
community are honored during this First Annual Fundraising Dinner.  Proceeds
to benefit Fanm Ayisyen Nan Miyami, Inc.  Some of the Honorees include,
Miami Dade Mayor Alex Penelas, Monica Russo, President SEIU, Steve
Forrester, Esq., Bishop Thomas Wensky, Catholic Archdiocese of Miami, Cherly
Little, Director Florida Immigrant Advocacy Center, Congresswoman Carrie
Meek, Paul Novack, Esq.,Mayor of the City of Surfside, Susie Kraybacker,
Foundation for Worldwide Mercy and Sharing.  Marleine Bastien, Executive
Director of Fanm Ayisyen Nan
Miyami, Inc. is guest speaker.

Friday May 24
Mayor Penelas' Government Employee Luncheon
Employees of Mayor's office enjoy Haitian luncheon

Poetry Reading
Venue:  MOCA
770 NW 125th Street
North Miami
305-893-6211
6p

Saturday, May 25
Roots and Culture Festival
Annual Celebration of Haitian culture, features food vendors, arts, crafts,
music and more.

Sunday, May 26 / Haitian Mothers Day
Roots and Culture Festival continues

Soiree Haitienne
Venue:  Tap Tap Haitian Restaurant
819 5th Street
Miami Beach
Local restaurant featuring Haitian cuisine, music, drink specials in
celebration of Haitian Cultural Heritage Month

Monday May 27 / Memorial Day
Haitian Film Festival
Venue:  Mercury Theatre
5580 NE 4th Court
Miami Fl
305-759-8809

Wednesday May 29
Artists Closing Reception
Features Edouard Duval-Carrie
Venue:  L'atelier d'Edouard
Little Haiti

Thursday May 30
Variety Show
Venue:  North Miami Senior High School

Friday May 31
Closing Reception
Venue:  Mango's,
Miami Beach

Schedule is tentative and is subject to change
** Denotes independent events