a1823: David Stiddem asks about the Bwa Kayima covenant: Corbett adds

From: StiddemDavid@aol.com

I am interested in factural information on the sacred pact made by the Hatian
slaves in August 1791 at Bwa Kayima.   I am particularly interested in the
so-called "covenant with the devil" and rumors of a government-supported
renewal of this covenant which is currently being spread by some missionary
groups.  I remember some of this discussion on the list a few months back.
Perhaps someone can point me to information on the Internet on this subject.l

------------------

David, there was a good deal of denunciation of this "covenant with the
devil" business, but not much else.  However, there were useful spin
off discussions with relevant data from Daniel Simidor and Rachel
Beauvoir-Dominique.  Others joined in.  That discussion may be found at:

http://www.webster.edu/~corbetre/haiti/history/revolution/caiman.htm

However, if others have other post more directly related to the
covenant theme, and sends the to me, I'll post those separately to my
web site, but if they've already been on the mailing list I won't
repeat them.

Bob Corbett