a1877: RE: 1831: Educational Experiences (fwd)

From: JHUDICOURTB@aol.com

R. Wilson writes:
"      Haitians stress rote memory in education.  The U. S. stresses critical
thinking.
If we could combine both systems in both countries so that early on rote
     memory of information is stressed and then critical thinking
     introduced later on we might have really great results for both
     countries."
I don't want to fully disagree with Mr. Wilson's observation because we all
know that school in Haiti is very much about memorization without necessarily
involving comprehension.  The simple fact that school happens in most
communities in a language that both teacher and students are not fluent in
shows that there is a gross gap in the meaning of the word learning.  I want
to disagree however that Haitians do not know how to be critical thinkers.
They may not understand that thinking and schooling go together because being
successful in  school in Haiti requires that one stops questioning the
teaching authority and submit to ready-made thoughts.  My experience in the
US however has been that children coming from Haiti, as early as 10 years old
are very good at arguing their point.  The problem of the silent student can
be overcome by having the teacher sit back, present the question to be
debated, offer a few rules of respect: "one person at a times, the last one
to speak calls on the next speaker, try not to always call on your friend,
try to tie your position to a point, and say who you agree or disagree with,
offer new questions and evidence."  Once the authority (you the teacher) no
longer functions as such, you will find that Haitian students are excellent
at argumentation and critical thinking.  Also once French is not required,
Haitians students become brilliant.  In spite of what many people think about
Haiti and Haitians, we have many skills practiced informally, outside the
institutions which become assets when we leave the sterile environment of the
local institutions.  Thinking, problem solving, argumentation, and
perseverence are a few of them.  Haitian people love to argue, we do not
believe in the status quo.   We know that most institutions are there to
create problems for us, therefore we are sceptical, and we take opportunities
offered to us because we cannot afford to by-pass them.  You may find that
the majority of your students have an ulterior motive in becomimg a
theologian, for example.  Many enter the priesthood or other religious
institutions to that they can get a free education, just like young Americans
join the service.  It is not necessarily for the love of God and the Nation
but rather for the chance to learn a skill or be part of a supportive group.