a1894: Re: a1834: BBC: Haiti: Peasant leader urges national mobilization against Lavalas government (fwd)

From: kevin pina <kpinbox@hotmail.com>

"Why should we allow blood to be shed only in Hinche while that same
movement can take place throughout the country"?

Meaning why should we just shed blood in Hinche when we can shed it
throughout the country? Has Chavanne lost his mind or allowed his personal
antagonisms with Aristide to turn his heart to stone? I have had a lot of
respect for this man but insisting that conditions call for a scenario akin
to civil war is clearly mad. Were not the persons responsible for the attack
on his brother arrested and brought to justice by the constitutional
government? Since then, has not he, and MPP, been allowed to freely express
themselves as is evidenced by these sour grape ramblings? I would really
like to know exactly who is yanking this man's chain.

One analyst's explanation is that Chavanne has indeed been losing support
among his base and that these statements are a reflection of his
desparation. Even if true, this is certainly no excuse for making
irresponsible statements that are tantamount to a call for civil war.
Perhaps he thinks he can provoke the government into moving against him
lending creedence to his claim of Lavalas dictatorship and thus enforcing
his self-projected image of the great democratic liberator. Got any shrinks
in the house?