a1942: Re: a1939: Haitians seeking recognition of war effort in U.S. : Poincy comments (fwd)

From: "[iso-8859-1] Jean Poincy" <caineve@yahoo.fr>

> Lasting significance
>
> Members of the Haitian American Historical Society
> say recognizing the role
> of Haitians in American history will boost the
> self-esteem of the
> Haitian-American community everywhere.

Some Ayitians and Ayitian advocates love these false
issues. In no way they will boost the community
self-esteem. The lack of self-esteem is in the way
Ayitians live today both in Ayiti and abroad. They
have accomplished nothing of value that others would
want to embrace.

Ayitians do nothing to make Ayiti better. Ayitians do
nothing to elevate the country's status in the rank of
the world modern societies. Ayitians are complacent in
mediocrity and do nothing to contribute to the
progress of humanity. Why would authorities in other
countries want to recognize such a country for
whatever reason in the accomplishment of the greatness
of their community?

The argument has no valid foundation for a legal
reason and the intent of the war.

First: then Ayiti was not a country from which one
would claim the Ayitian citizenship. Logically,
Ayitians did not partake in that war. It is true that
those individuals who later became Ayitians were
members of the French colony of Saint-Domingue. They
were merely French properties. It is delusional to
think that they were free men, because they enjoyed
some relative freedom by serving some official of the
French army.

More over, the general freedom on the colony came long
after. So they were not free men who voluntarily
decided to take part in the war. They were chosen and
had no say in going or not going. They had to go
whether they like it or not.

Second: the war was not a war of freedom. It was a war
of detatchment from a main authority which has nothing
to do with slavery in America then. Those who declared
war against the British were not in slavery. Prior to
their struggle for independance they were
representatives of the British colonial empire.

It is hard to conceive that those fighters from the
French colony of Saint-Domingue whom are called
Ayitians would go and fight for the US where slavery
was still practiced. Would one really swallow this
logic? Although they were defenders of the French
authorities, they were deeply thinking about their own
way to real freedom.

It is OK, if one is trying to have these people to be
acknowleged, but don't act like it is owed to them and
it would be ungrateful if not given to them. I am sure
that their absence would not make a difference in the
outcome of that war. One needs to keep in mind that
their participation was to preserve the French
soldiers.

Folks there is nothing there to take pride in and it's
a hollow self-esteem booster. If we want to build
Ayitians' self-esteem, make Ayiti a great contributor
to modern civilisation. Ayiti that continues to live
in a state of nature is no source of pride. For no
matter what is done to build pride or self-esteem like
a bicentenial stamp and the recognition for this or
for that, the end game will be the same and Ayitians
will be looked upon in a condescending way if Ayiti
remains what it is.

You know what! you can always get what you are
fighting for just to shut you up; but the substance
will not be there.

Ayiti has lived, lives and will live
Mozeb