a1946: Haiti: Violent demonstration against priest's dismissal reported in Jeremie (fwd)

From: Stanley  Lucas <slucas@iri.org>

Haiti: Violent demonstration against priest's dismissal reported in Jeremie
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; May 4, 2002

There is a serious crisis within the Jeremie Diocese. Father Jude Berthomieu Frederick [phonetic], who is very popular in the area for his stance against the corruption that prevails in the diocese, according to him, has been sanctioned by his superiors. He was suspended for a year. When his sympathisers heard the news, they went to the archdiocese last night to demonstrate their anger against Bishop Willy Romelus. They broke the windows of cars that belong to the priests. The [Police] Intervention and Maintenance of Order Company [CIMO] had to intervene to calm the situation. Cleverin Michel reports as follows:

[Michel - recording, in Creole] The demonstrators shouted slogans hostile to Romelus, after the head of the diocese wrote to Frederick in order to force him to leave the diocese. This decision gave rise to the discontent of Frederick's supporters. The demonstrators broke the windows of the Catholic Church's local radio station, Radio Tet Ansanm. They also broke the windows of cars that belong to some priests.

[Unidentified demonstrator] It is Romelus who should leave Jeremie, not Frederick.

[Second unidentified demonstrator] What we are doing tonight is only a start. We shall continue tomorrow at 0700 [local times throughout]. We shall show the Church that the popular masses have a child who is a priest. Since they have decided to expel him, we shall give an response to the church. We shall be out in the streets at 0700. If Romelus wants, he can call for the men in black [CIMO] and get a helicopter to bring them here to kill us.

[Michel] It should pointed out that Father Frederick, who was ordained three years ago, received a letter of suspension after he denounced the corruption and immorality that prevail, especially in the Jeremie diocese, where his fellow priests are tarnishing the sacerdotal image with their bad behaviour.

At this moment, it is very difficult to get Bishop Romelus to give an explanation about the situation. Father Frederick, who is the director of the Frere Paulin school, has already left town for an unknown destination. The populace want Frederick restored to the diocese. Otherwise, they will take further action.

Source: Radio Metropole, Port-au-Prince, in French 1700 gmt 3 May 02

/  BBC Monitoring