a1977: Re: a1950: INS VIOLATING HUMAN RIGHTS OF HAITIANS (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

Reports indicate that:

<<Many of approximately 160 refugees have been held since their arrival in early December after fleeing a rapidly detiorating political situation in Haiti.>>

GOOD!

Rapidly deteriorating political situation, my hind foot!  People who were in Haiti in 1991 - 1994 know what a "deteriorating political situation" is about.  NOTHING like that is going on now.  I'm sorry, but who are these 160 refugees?  Probably a bunch of frustrated FRAPH members and abrasive attaches.  This is just a bunch of anti-Aristide propaganda.

I'm certainly no fan of the INS, but folks, let's take a reality check.  Naturally Chinese dissidents are paroled out fast, everyone knows what would happen to them if they were sent back!  In Colombia people are killing each other left and right!  But here in Jacmel, we milk the cows every day, we had the "Fete de Mer" which coincided with the Fet St. Jacques et St. Philippe, tons of people in town from Port-au-Prince, and not a peep, not a fight, not a gunshot, not a ruckus of any kind.  I go to Port-au-Prince every two weeks, and I never see bullets whizzing by my head because the Army is firing on the citizenry the way they did back in the days.  Sometimes there is a demonstration going on.  Good!  In a democracy, people are allowed to have demonstrations, it's a sign of political health, not political deterioration.

Hmph!

Now, the other administrative requirements, like when a person is required to have an affidavit of support, that should be the same for everyone.  I'm not suggesting that Haitians are the INS' favorite social set!  But I don't see anything in country conditions right now that warrants political asylum.  Maybe a few individuals have reason to fear, all sorts of things happen, but I'd sure like to hear their stories.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html