a1987: Clergy abuse..... (fwd)

From: Fr. Michael Graves <harchim@yahoo.com>

Now let's wait a minute before slamming the clergy! It
is certainly true that many clergymen...and
clergywomen of all denominations, sects and religions
have less-than-honorable reputations, but we need to
make certain that we don't slam just the catholics. I
know some RC priests who have girl friends and boy
friends and even some with grown children here in
HAITI...and in lots of other places; and that is
surely hypocritical. However, I know protestants and
Orthodox and even Voudoo clergy persons who lead just
as hypocritical lives.

Right here in Haiti we have Voudoo houngans and mambos
who surely live notoriously incorrect lives, in
addition to protestant and Orthodox clergymen. (I AM
NOT ONE OF THEM!)  For instance, I know of one Voudoo
mambo from the USA (Boston, yet!) who spends lots of
time in Haiti living with one boyfriend or the other
and quite publicly; while at the same time criticizing
others for doing far less than she does. (I suppose
Voudoo practices and beliefs don't hold to the same
moral principles as Christians, and so the attraction
it has for foreigners.)

Neverthless, let's not start knocking "the others"
until we take a good look at ourselves. The Boston
scandal is terrible/sad, but that does not mean that
all clergy persons are perverts.

harchim