12001: book confirmation and message, not a post (fwd)

From: "John Walker [Matraco]" <jcfwalker@matraco.com>

Folks, JOhn Walker purchased some books from me recently, including
a 1950s UNESCO report on economic development in Haiti.  He sent me
the note below mainly to thank me for the books, but I thought it was
worth sharing with the list.  John was humble enough to worry that
it might not be worth sharing, but I still asked him to allow me to
post the note.  Bob Corbett

====================

Hello Bob,

I received the books (Nat'l Geographic and UNESCO report); thanks very much!
The UNESCO document is especially interesting; I find parallels to what I am
currently involved in, even though I am engaged in private-sector economic
development.  Always good to learn from those brave souls who have passed
our way before.

I am trying hard to get a more optimistic message out regarding Haiti than
the mainstream media normally presents; I was gratified that The Wall Street
Journal ran a letter of mine on Friday (below, or see
www.matraco.com/wsj10may02.html) speaking to the idea that economic
development is not only possible, but logical in Haiti, despite conventional
business wisdom to the contrary.  Secretary of State Colin Powell (personal
hero) says it well:

"Capital, as I say all the time, is a coward. It flees from corruption and
bad policies, conflict and unpredictability. It goes where it is welcomed,
where investors can be confident on the return on the resources that they
have put at risk."  (speech to the Council of Americas, quoted by Reuters, 6
May 2002)

General Powell is right, and Haiti is exactly the kind of place ordinary
capitalists run in terror from.  I have overcome a lot of their objections,
by gaining initial approval for political risk insurance from the U.S.
Overseas Private Investment Corporation (OPIC), largely on the strengths of
my environmental protection plan.  I will be in Washington again this week
for meetings with World Bank; I am hopeful that they will see fit to help me
get to the next stage.

Bob, I know that your Haiti is largely the literary and cultural Haiti, but
this complex and challenging nation is not so easily divided into convenient
sectors as more developed countries.  You have a long personal record of
compassionate involvement with Haiti; you know the country and her people,
and many in the diaspora.  I wonder if you would have some thoughts on solid
strong partners I should contact, who might be interested in joining me in
long-term economic development in Haiti?

Kind regards,
John
_________________________________
Matraco-Colorado Holding Ltd.
www.matraco.com/partners

The Wall Street Journal Online
As of 3:40 p.m. EDT Friday, May 10, 2002

Letters

Haiti Can Rise From Its Misery

Your April 29 editorial "No Hero to Haitians" reminds us of the continuing
difficulties faced by the people of Haiti. When you drive down the flank of
Kenscoff Mountain into Petion-Ville at five in the morning and pass the
ladies carrying huge bundles to market, walking for hours, you know who the
real Haitian heroes are.

You reinforce the belief of those of us doing business in Haiti that the
U.N. and the "international community" are not going to reform Haiti. That
was tried in the 1990s, with spectacular failure. What Haiti needs is less
focus on political reform, a Quixotic quest, and more work on private-sector
economic development. As the World Bank notes, politics more than anything
prevents Haiti "from taking full advantage of its development potential."

Haiti has real economic potential. It's located in the center of the
Caribbean Basin, a prosperous and stable region. Despite the popular image
of a tiny overcrowded island, Haiti's population density is low by Caribbean
standards, about half that of neighboring islands. Haiti can support her
people, and in conditions better than hopeless poverty.

As we learned at Trinity College-Georgetown University's recent symposium on
investment in Haiti, private business people are succeeding in Haiti against
all odds. Haiti may not become another St. Croix or Martinique, attracting
planeloads of tourists, but this proud and struggling nation can become a
strong regional partner in commerce and industry by focusing more on
development and less on politics.

John Walker
Chief Executive Officer
Matraco-Colorado Holding Ltd.