a12003: Re: a2000: This Week in Haiti 20:8 5/8/2002 (fwd)

From: Fr. Michael Graves <harchim@yahoo.com>

   I, along with thousands of others in  Haiti, have
stopped buying Haiti Progress.
   There are surely enough political "alternatives" in
Haiti without another one being created. What the
world doesn't know is how easy it is to gather a
"mass" of protesters in Haiti to protest anything.
Give them a free t-shirt and a straw peasant's hat,
and they will pretty-much rally to whatever cause the
donor is supporting.
   FL may have made some mistakes in the past and even
in the present, but the remedy for those mistakes is
not another "alternative" movement. The new Prime
Minister has already gotten rid of some of the old
Duvaillerists; give them a little time to do even
more.
   Remember: "l'union fait la force!" Together we can
overcome; divided we will fail...alternative or no!
   harchim

--- Bob Corbett <corbetre@webster.edu> wrote:

> From: "[iso-8859-1] Haiti Progrès"
> <editor@haiti-progres.com>
>
> "This Week in Haiti" is the English section of HAITI
> PROGRES
> newsweekly. For the complete edition with other news
> in French
> and Creole, please contact the paper at (tel)
> 718-434-8100,
> (fax) 718-434-5551 or e-mail at
> <editor@haitiprogres.com>.
> Also visit our website at <www.haitiprogres.com>.
>
>                            HAITI PROGRES
>               "Le journal qui offre une alternative"
>
>                       * THIS WEEK IN HAITI *
>
>                          May 8 - 14, 2002
>                           Vol. 20, No. 8
>
> IN MAY DAY MARCH, PPN OFFERS AN ALTERNATIVE
>
> For the past two years, Haiti has been paralyzed by
> a power
> struggle between the ruling Lavalas Family party
> (FL) of
> President Jean-Bertrand Aristide and the Democratic
> Convergence
> (CD), a Washington-backed opposition front of 14
> tiny parties.
> Despite the constant comings and goings of
> diplomatic "mediators"
> from Washington and the Organization of American
> States (OAS),
> endless rounds of negotiations have gone nowhere.
>
> Hoping to appease Washington, the FL has moved
> steadily to the
> right, abandoning all the principles articulated by
> the broader
> Lavalas movement when it burst onto the world scene
> in 1990. One
> movement slogan then was "Haiti is not for sale,
> either retail or
> wholesale." Today, the FL is selling some of Haiti's
> most fertile
> farmland to Dominican capitalists who are setting up
> a "free
> trade zones" along the border between the two
> countries. Precious
> state enterprises, particularly the phone company,
> electric
> authority, and airport, are also on the auction
> block.
>
> Another cardinal rule in 1990 was "Macoutes are not
> included,"
> meaning the new popular government should not
> incorporate
> politicians who collaborated with the Duvalier
> dictatorships
> (1957-1986). Today, the FL has integrated
> Duvalierists and
> supporters of the neo-Duvalierist coup (1991-1994)
> into its ranks
> and the government in some of the most key
> positions.
>
> Meanwhile, the FL-dominated Parliament has
> distinguished itself
> above all in corruption and chronic dereliction of
> duty, except
> when they gather to facilitate neoliberal reform,
> obstruction of
> justice, or the trampling of national sovereignty.
>
> Hunger and misery have deepened to unthinkable
> levels, as schools
> [...]
=== message truncated ===