a12006: Grant's annexation of Haiti (fwd)

From: Mark A Schuller <marky@umail.ucsb.edu>

Hi.  I was waiting to screen a couple of videos on Haiti for an intro to
Caribbean class with a friend, when an "America's Heritage" program on
public television caught my eye.  This program states that President
Ulysses S Grant had the idea of annexing "San Domingo" in the 1870's "and
defended that plan until his death."

Does anyone on this list have textual sources for this?  The documentary,
predictably, was very pro-Grant (and predictably conservative).

Thanks in advance for the information!

--
Mark
marky@umail.ucsb.edu