12023: Questions on Haiti from a high school student (fwd)

Anyone up for helping a student?

Please reply directly to:
From: TGSSSHGM1@aol.com

       My name is Kelley Levin and I am a 10th grader at San Luis Obispo High
School in California. My history teacher has assigned everyone in our class a
country. Our job is to write a 6 to 10 page paper discussing the problems of
the country, how long they have existed and what is being done about them. We
need to interview someone who lives there or has been their for an extended
period of time. Since my country is Haiti, I was hoping that you could answer
some of my questions. Feel free to add any insight or any other thoughts you
would like. I am extremely grateful.

What is contributing to Haiti''s ""deteriorating democracy?"" What is being
done to prevent further deterioration?

Is there an increase in violent crime? Is it all political, or religious too?
Is former President Aristides Zero Tolerance still in effect? What are/were
the effects of this policy? ( I''m still a little confused about the
situation concerning Aristides Presidency, if you know what happened I would
really like to know. : )

How effective is the Haiti National Police (HNP) at keeping the peace? Does
the HNP abuse human rights? If so, how? Why was the military disbanded in the
first place? What did the government hope to achieve by doing this?

How bad is the illegal drug and gun smuggling? What is the cause of this?
What is being done about it?

Is poverty out of control? Does a small elite control much of the countries
wealth? If so what is being done and what do you think can be done?

What do you think are the problems caused by being to dependent on
international assistance? Can you see the country becoming more independent
in the near future? Why?

What human rights abuses has the government committed in the past?

Please contact me as soon as possible because my project is due very soon and
I got a late start on it. Thank you for your time. I appreciate it greatly.
       Sincerely,
             Kelley Levin

PS: Also, if you could provide information on when you've been to Haiti, if
ever, and how long you stayed, it would be greatly appreciated.