a12020: Pres. Aristide urges opposition leaders to put nation first (fwd)

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Haiti's Aristide urges opposition leaders to put the nation first
BBC Monitoring Service - United Kingdom; May 14, 2002

[Announcer] The head of state [Jean-Bertrand Aristide] sets out his position once again on the political situation and the economic sanctions that have been imposed on the country. Aristide issues a call to the political leaders following the wreck of the small boat that was carrying boat people [to Miami when it sank off the Bahamas]...

The head of state specifies that the Haitian people are not stupid, and that they understand the game that is being played on the political scene.

[Aristide - recording] ... //It is ridiculous to think that the sanctions will only affect the Lavalas party, and that it only concerns the Lavalas people. It is ridiculous to think that we will continue to use the strategy of not reaching an economic agreement, because by so doing the Lavalas party will not be able to withstand the situation.// If you think the people are foolish then you are making a mistake. Do not believe that the people are stupid and that they cannot clearly understand the game that is being played. Let me tell you this, when the time comes the people will say clearly who was responsible for their being hungry and unemployed.

One must have the ability to foresee in order to govern. I am governing, therefore I have the responsibility to foresee. And this is the reason why I am doing political prevention by assuming my responsibility as head of state when I ask my fellow citizens not to think too much about political gains, but to think about our country. For by that prevention we are creating the peaceful way so that tomorrow or later in life my fellow citizens will recognize our political maturity that allowed us to go beyond partisan interests to consider national interests. [End of recording]

Source: Radio Vision 2000, Port-au-Prince, in French 1730 gmt 13 May 02

/¸ BBC Monitoring

/BBC Monitoring/ © BBC.