12030: Haitian: Continue search for survivors (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Posted on Mon, May. 13, 2002

Haitian: Continue search for survivors
BY HECTOR FLORIN
hflorin@herald.com

A local Haitian activist on Sunday questioned a decision by the U.S. Coast
Guard to suspend the search for survivors of a boat that capsized early
Friday, killing as many as 13 people. Fourteen are believed missing.

''Our request is that they continue the search,'' said Marleine Bastien,
executive director of Haitian Women of Miami. ``We feel there can still be a
chance of finding survivors.''

The Coast Guard suspended the search Saturday night.

The cutter Harriet Lane came to the rescue of the capsized 35-foot sloop
Friday, just west of Great Inagua. There were about 100 Haitians onboard.

The crew rescued 73 people from the overcrowded boat. Survivors indicated
more than a dozen people were missing. ''It pains me to see this tragic loss
of life,'' said Rear Adm. Jay Carmichael, commander of the Seventh Coast
Guard district.

But Bastien considers the decision ``premature.''

''It's been known people can survive days in the water,'' she said. ``Does
that mean the life of Haitians is not that important?''

Bastien is hoping the bodies of those who died are returned to Haiti ``to
have a decent burial.''

She also urged families to call local radio stations to provide information
on those who may have been on board.