12094: Re: 12091: President Aristide talks on Restaveks, Street Children and Children in general (fwd)

From: E Vedrine <evedrine@hotmail.com>

The ONLY way to eradicate the "restavèk disease" in Haiti is with a STRONG
LAWS, the ultimate medicine (not only written them on a piece of paper, but
they MUST be executed). Now, what's next? (in terms of what to do with these
beautiful & naive children that have no hope for the future?). Some of them
are orphans (some escape from the homes where they're being abused and some
take the streets and take many directions (positive & negative ones). So,
Aristide should think of building AUBERGE (across the country and that's not
going to cost a lot of $ and it can be done very fast) to put them /feed
them and send them to school, create ACTIVITIES for them (from which they
can learn something for their future and to serve their country). I mention
many times in the internet the importance of having a LAW where
(all)children  across the country from the age of 5/6  should be in school
up the age of 17/18 (one of the greatest gifts Haitian politicians & any
government in power can give to "Ayiti Cheri" to eradicate the "illitearcy
disease" - I also mean a "practical education", that is to say an education
where students won't be "jako repèt" (where they can have little labs to do
experiments, where schools can organize field trips acrros the country
(including at least, one trip to the Dominican Republic in order to compare
& contrast) to expose to students to the reality of their country to become
conscious young citizen in order to develop love to help their country) but
and education where they'll be able to use CRITICAL THINKING while mastering
what's offered in the school curriculum and where they can master "at least
A TRADE" upon completion of the program so that they can work later to
support themselves and they can be useful to the Haitian Society in return,
because (most)schools in Haiti have prepared students TO LEAVE THEIR
COUNTRY, TO HATE THEIR COUNTRY/CULTURE/SOCIETY, TO NOT SERVE THEIR COUNTRY
etc... [Part of the Haitian Reality that was probably never mentioned in
this list]). Without these strong laws, I don't think much can be done to
solve the problem and the government should also provide FREE lunch for them
(if ever they'll have a chance to attend school freely). So, it's a NATIONAL
ISSUE that has to be addressed by all organizations in Haiti also in order
to speed up the LEGAL PROCESS that will help eradicating the said disease.
This is what needs to be done, and I think the Haitian Media (if they really
care, should also focus on that issue). We need more ACTION to help Haiti
then TALKING in this new century as we are approaching the Bicentennial of
Independence (where most Haitians /are illiterate, can't eat, want leave
Haiti because the country offers them nothing, don't have health care & more
and problems behind the Mountain of Problem...)

E.W.VEDRINE
http://hometown.aol.com/ewvedrine/Dizan.htm