12098: Re: 12095: Haitian refugees turn eyes to Bush (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<< When a Miami federal judge denied the pleas for justice from Haitian
 asylum-seekers Friday>>

She didn't deny their pleas for justice, she denied their pleas for asylum.
Or rather, she refused to parole them while waiting for their asylum hearings.

That's mean, huh?  After all, we all know how reliable, how honorable, how
completely honest Haitian refugees are - none of them would ever go "marron",
every one of them would unfailingly report to INS whenever they were told,
keep their addresses current, none of them would ever become full-fledged
illegal aliens, right?

<< No amount of evidence indicating that Haitian refugees are systematically
 singled out and discriminated against swayed U.S. District Judge Joan
 Lenard>>

Affidavits of support are one thing.  That should be the same for everyone.
Asylum itself shouldn't be granted to these folks, I don't see anything in
country conditions right now to warrant it.

<...Haitians fleeing dangerous conditions in their homeland. It was a decade
ago.>>

RIGHT!  Nothing like that is happening now.

<<Bush issued one of the most strident anti-refugee messages of our time when
he ordered all Haitian boats stopped at sea and all refugees repatriated
without a chance to present claims of persecution.>>

I think he's right!  I am no fan of Dubyas, but I repeat that there is
nothing in country conditions in Haiti right now to warrant asylum.

<< His executive order in May 1992 sent thousands of Haitians back to a
country in chaos.>>

Well, maybe all those highly motivated, honest, honorable asylum seekers, who
have such deep sensitivities to human rights, ought to stay and work to
improve their own country!

<<Haitians are required to present more documentation, more witnesses, more
proof than other refugees. >>

That's not fair.  It doesn't make them eligible for asylum, though.

<< Too many Haitians have returned to face prison, hunger and death >>

If they were returned to Haiti and went to prison, it's because they were
deported from the USA for repeated criminal offenses.  Hunger is not grounds
for political asylum.  Death at the hands of... who?  I don't see any
systematic, state-sponsored killings going on.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html