12108: Note on the late Albert Mangones: Slavin (fwd)

From: PSlavin@unicefusa.org

A footnote on the Michael Norton obit of 25 April --

Another major contribution of this renaissance man was as project leader of
the Citadelle restoration. It is with thanks to Mr. Mangones and his
colleagues like fellow architect Patrick Delatour (and the OAS, big
funders) that the Citadelle is in the fine shape that it is today -- and
will stand for generations to come.

Besides his fine sculpture, landscape architecture, and teaching, he has
left behind many wonderful private homes in Haiti -- all I've visited,
including an apartment house in Petion-Ville, do not need air-conditioning.
His genius somehow captured the tradewinds -- the outside breezes were
channeled throughout the living spaces. And the magnificent gardens at his
residence in Martissant.

>From my side, Mr. Mangones was one of the finest architects of the 20th
century.

Rest in peace.