12110: Labor Board throws out Vodou objections (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Press Release from the SEIU

Labor Board throws out Vodou objections, upholds union election results

MIAMI – David Weitzer, Hearing Officer of the National Labor Relations Board
Region12, found Mt. Sinai-S. Francis Nursing Center’s objections to the
union election to be without merit, recommended that the objections be
overruled in their entirety and that the union be certified as the
collective bargaining representative of the employees.

In a case that made international headlines, nursing home caregivers at Mt.
Sinai-St. Francis Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Miami have been
eagerly awaiting the hearing officer’s verdict in a case that involved
allegations that union organizers and supporters had used Vodou to scare
workers into voting for the Service Employees International Union 1199
Florida.

The hearing officer’s Report states, “Vodou had no affect on the outcome of
the vote.  There is no evidence that the pennies or half filled cups of
water were placed around the facility to influence the outcome of the
election or by anyone associated with the Union.   There is no evidence that
viewing these symbols prior to the election convinced anyone to alter their
vote.”

“We thank God for this victory,” said Nelta Moline, a certified nurses’ aide
at MSSF.  “We love making a difference in our resident’s lives and winning
our union will give us a chance to make our lives better, too.”

The deadline to appeal the hearing officer’s decision is May 31st.

Union and community leaders are calling on MSSF Administration to abide by
the verdict and not to file an appeal to the decision that would potentially
delay certification of the election for years.  “The workers have exercised
their democratic right to vote for a union,” said Monica Russo, president of
SEIU 1199 Florida.  “It’s time for the employer to do the right thing, to
respect the will of the workers and begin the process of bargaining a union
contract that will improve the working conditions of their most valuable
asset – their employees.”

Rev. Dr. Jonas Georges, Secretary Treasurer of the Haitian American
Christian Council, rejoiced the hearing officer’s decision, “Let us now put
the pain behind us and begin the healing process for the workers, the
residents, and the entire community.  The workers have been vindicated in
their struggle for justice and the community stands ready to ensure that
true progress is made at the bargaining table and that our people win the
dignity they deserve for the caring service they perform.”

The Service Employees International Union is the largest healthcare union in
America representing over 750,000 health care workers including over 6,000
nursing home workers at 70 long-term care facilities in Florida.  SEIU 1199
Florida is one of the fastest growing union’s in the state and has won 14
elections since January 2001.