12114: Unequal under law (fwd)

From: leonie hermantin <lhermantin@hotmail.com>

Miami Herald

Letter to the Editor
Posted May 20,2002

Unequal under law

I'm a seventh grader at G.W. Carver Middle School. My civics teacher, Mr.
Sands, hammers into our heads how everyone is equal and is afforded equal
protection under the law. If that's so, why are Haitians discriminated
against?

Some 200 Haitians who have been found to have a reasonable fear of
persecution are detained by the Immigration and Naturalization Service. Why
is it that everyone else found to have reasonable fear of persecution is
allowed to go free while Haitians are still jailed like common criminals?

The inequalities shake my faith in the justice system. As a U.S. citizen of
Haitian descent, the fact that my government applies a policy that purposely
discriminates against Haitians and not others makes me feel like a
second-class citizen.

KHALIL JOLIBOIS

South Miami