12121: On Mangones sites: Slavin (fwd)

From: PSlavin@unicefusa.org

Unfortunately, I do not have a list of sites -- all of my visits to
Mangones project were all done informally -- visiting friends, parties,
etc. However, I imagine that Albert's son, Frederich(sp), also an
architect, and if he is still in Haiti, would be delighted to organize such
an outing -- or architect Patrick Delatour. There is also the Mangones
School of Architecture on Lalue, near the turn off to the Champs de Mars --
I have not visited but have noticed the sign on numerous occasions. I
assume it is the school Mangones pere taught at. I do not have contact info
for either young Mangones or Patrick, but they should be listed in the
Port-au-Prince telephone book.

Does anyone know if the main Port-de-Paix public school was a Mangones
project? I think it's a secondary school. It has all the trademarks, except
that the exterior is a handsome brown stone. It's an extraordinary design
-- several school buildings in a garden setting. Mangones, like the great
Brazilian architect Oscar Niemeyer, was clearly influenced by Le Corbusier.
I heard in Port-de-Paix that the school  was built by Baby Doc -- just a
warning: if anyone on the list argues that Mangones was tainted by his
Duvalier commissions (like the Marone sculpture), in the words of Dr.
Hunter Scott Thompson, I will hunt you down over the tundra like a dog.

Patrick
http://www.unicefusa.org