=?x-unknown?q?12129=3A__=5BISO-8859-1=5D_Re=3A_12126=3A_=A0RE?==?x-unknown?q?=3A_12125=3A_=A0oral_vs_injectable_=28fwd=29?=

From: MKarshan@aol.com

Another reason I have heard is that it is much easier to get parents to agree to the immunization if it is oral vs the ordeal of a shot!  Having been children or also having children, you know what I mean!

I appreciate the writings of the photographer earlier in this thread expressing frustration over reporting.  I provided AP with a lot of articles and medical reports before he wrote his first polio story a month ago.  But I was shocked to see the scarey headline that led into that story which gave the impression that Haiti is in the midst of a huge outbreak!  Also I was disappointed when the story did not explain that the cases actually arose from the administration of the vaccine itself (by unimmunized children being exposed to those who had been immunized).

Also, missing from the story of yesterday is the fact that this is the 2rd (or is it the 3rd?) round of immunizations!  Haiti has participated with the Dominican Republic and the region in addressing the polio outbreak.  The first round was heavily publicized throughout the country and health workers went door to door.  It was a hugh success and the regional health agencies praised Haiti for its work.  So its not like Haiti is just responding now!