12140: Re: 12116: Re: 12098: Re: 12095: Haitian refugees turn eyes to Bush (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<< I'm sorry you feel that Haitian refugees seeking asylum have no legitimate
 claims and even more sorry that you can't recognize that all cases are not
 the same, but I thank God that you are not the judge/INS/US President
 because they are doing a fine job of screwing Haitian refugees over all by
 themselves. >>

I am not interested in "screwing Haitian refugees", I am interested in seeing
that those who deserve it, get it, and those that do not, DON'T!  Giving
anyone who screams and kicks loudly enough a lot of attention merely cheapens
the claims of legitimate applicants.

Although I do not wish to address most of your woefully
 stereotypical comments, I do want to address the one that came out first:

<< Just in case you missed it, those refugees (specifically the 12/3
arrivals) were NOT treated justly, or more precisely, "fairly" in comparison
to other such refugees who, contrary to what you imply, are not exempt from
being motivated by hunger.>>

Hunger is NOT grounds for political asylum!  I am certain that every
applicant will get, at taxpayer expense, a hearing during which they will
have the opportunity to present their case.  I don't see what is so unfair
about that.

I don't see why these individuals should be paroled - to draw a parallel, in
criminal cases bail can be denied for a variety of reasons.  If a person is
in deadly fear of their life in Haiti, then waiting in a detention center
where they are not in fear of their life is an improvement.

<<Oh, and FYI, a political problem in one's country CAN lead to a hunger
problem, and as far as Haiti is concerned, I would feel comfortable going out
on a limb and suggest that is the case--or at least part of it.>>

Sure!  During the 1991 - 1994 military regime, the policies of the junta
created horrible social conditions, including hunger.  But living in a poorly
run country is not grounds for asylum.

<<... Madam Racine Sans Bout, are you saying that these detainee's--who have
been singled out among all the refugees from ALL the other countries in the
world for no other reason other than being Haitian--have no legitimate cause
for concern over inequal treatment (b.k.a. injustice) by the US INS?>>

They have not been singled out for "being Haitian"!  Would you care to
restate that?

I repeat, and REPEAT - the asylum process should proceed in the same way for
everyone, with regard to documentation, affidavits of support, and so on.
That is cause for concern.  I do not feel, however, that there is anything in
country conditions in Haiti to warrant political asylum for anyone.  I think
the correct thing for the INS to do is to give the applicants hearings as
rapidly as possible, and send them home!

Now, if you can tell me of a specific case where you think the individual is
genuinely deserving of asylum, I would be very interested to hear about it.
I did a lot of political asylum casework in Haiti, and in the USA for people
who managed to get out from under the 1991 - 1994 military regime, and I have
a very good understanding of the requirements.

That's really the question, isn't it?  WHAT is there in country conditions
today which justifies an asylum claim?  WHY are these individuals eligible?
I'd appreciate an answer, a real answer and not remarks about "screwing
Haitian refugees" or about inequalities in the asylum application process.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb

The VODOU Page - http://members.aol.com/racine125/index.html