12152: RE: 12128: Polio issue (fwd)/ CURRENT CDC Guidance (fwd)

From: "Walton, Robert" <waltonr@emh1.ftmeade.army.mil>

The US Center for Disease Control recently published guidance dated 2/4/2002
pertaining to Polio Vaccinations for ADULTS (scroll to page 2 at
http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/adult-schedule.pdf ) and for CHILDREN, a
schedule dated 2002 at
( http://www.cdc.gov/nip/recs/child-schedule.PDF ).  These schedules
indicate that inactivated poliovirus vaccine (IPV-injectible) is now the US
choice and that ORAL vaccine is no longer recommended.

To confirm the shift to injectible vaccine, I phoned the Johns Hopkins
Children's Ctr and spoke to a nurse who said that they switched to the
injectable vaccine about TWO YEARS ago but that other facilities and
physicians may still be using the oral vaccine.

My take: I am quite certain that a large number of US adults are unaware of
this shift. There is an abundance of dated and obsolete information still on
the web, in the libraries, and school rooms.  It is also concievable that
some US healthcare providers have either "not gotten the word" or have made
a conscious decision to continue the use of the oral vaccine.

Bob Walton