12160: Haitian-Bahamian teenager is nation's 24th homicide victim (fwd)

From: Daniel Schweissing <dan_schweissing@hotmail.com>

National News
Murder count at 24

Released Tuesday, May 21, 2002 at 03:39 am EST by Vanessa Rolle

Haitian-Bahamian teenager is

nation's 24th homicide victim

BY VANESSA C ROLLE

GUARDIAN STAFF REPORTER

The murder of a 17-year-old Mt Royal Avenue Haitian-Bahamian resident on
Saturday hiked the country's murder count for the year to 24.

Superintendent Marvin Dames, Officer-in-charge, Central Detective Unit, said
that around 1:05 a.m. Saturday, the victim, Jerry Raphael, along with some
friends were at a Haitian dance located on Wulff Road, just opposite Union
Village, when he was approached by two masked men.

One of the men was armed with a shot gun. Raphael and his friends, who were
on the outside of the establishment, were then ordered to go inside, Dames
said.

A single gunshot was fired shortly thereafter, and the masked men fled,
along with other persons in the area.

The police were called to the scene, and they found Raphael lying down on
the ground suffering from a gunshot wound to the left side, Dames reported.

An Emergency Medical Services (EMS) team which was summoned, pronounced
Raphael dead at the scene.

"We are currently investigating the matter and we can say for certain that
robbery was not the motive. We are trying to determine exactly what the
motive is," Dames said.

He said that police are following several significant leads.

Copyright (c) 2001 by Nassau Guardian