12161: Re: 12146: Joseph responds to Racine125 re: Haitian Refugees (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

Joseph wrote:

<< LOL, in response to your request of getting "a real answer and not remarks
 about 'screwing Haitian refugees'," I have no choice but to draw your
 attention back to the fact that this whole issue--the reason why people are
 protesting >>

Oh no you don't!  Answer my questions - WHAT is there in country conditions
today which justifies an asylum claim?  WHY are these individuals eligible?
I'd appreciate an answer, a real answer and not remarks about "screwing
Haitian refugees" or about inequalities in the asylum application process.

If you can't answer, then you must admit that there is nothing in country
conditions in Haiti which justifies a claim for political asylum, at all.

<< "I don't see why these individuals should be paroled...in criminal cases
 bail can be denied for a variety of reasons."

 Now if all they are doing is seeking asylum, why must they be treated like
 criminals?>>

"Parallel" does not mean "identically the same".  I have not suggested that
asylum applicants should be treated like criminals, I have drawn a parallel
between asylum applicants wanting parole and a criminal defendant wanting
bail - the *parallel* is that in both cases the person wants to be released
before their case has been resolved.

 <<You (Racine) said and repeated :), "the asylum process should
 proceed in the same way for everyone, with regard to documentation,
 affidavits of support, and so on," and I agree but that's just it. The
 asylum process does NOT proceed in the same way for everyone. I hope we are
 now on the same page or at least closer to it.>>

I have never suggested that Haitians' asylum claims should be processed
differently, I have said that at this time, their claims are completely
baseless and should be rejected.

 <<By the way, you argued that "[i]f a person is in deadly fear of their life
 in Haiti, then waiting in a detention center where they are not in fear of
 their life is an improvement." Yes, in the scenario you present just about
 anything--no matter how wrong or unjust--could be considered an
 "improvement," but you can't be serious. >>

Oh yes I AM!  If I run away from a place where people are trying to kill me
and I arrive at a place where I am safe, I am given food and medical care and
access to lawyers, and must simply remain there until my claim is processed,
I think that I would be relieved - that is, *IF* my life were truly in
danger!  If I were using an asylum claim as a ploy to get to the USA and go
to work, then I would not be willing to wait, I would want to leave and go
"marron" and work as an illegal, right?

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb