12166: Re: 12163: Haitian Refugees (fwd)

From: Racine125@aol.com

<< As we speak, hundreds of workers from the Guacimal/St Raphael area are in
 hiding, given their persecution by police and government officials at the
 beck and call of capitalist interests (Cointreau of France, Novella/Zephir
 bourgeois of Cap-Haitian, local landlords). >>

If they are being persecuted because of economic issues, because Cointreau
wants their land and is trying to force them to sell, or if the Cap Haitian
bourgeoise class does not want to pay a decent price for coffee - that is
oppression, but it is not grounds for political asylum!

I wish we would all get this straight in our minds!  Political asylum is not
something we give to someone who is getting a raw deal in their home country,
someone we would like to give a break.

Peace and love,

"Se bon ki ra" - Good is rare
     Haitian Proverb