12201: About National Haitian Apostolate (fwd)

From: Nlbo@aol.com

I just sent a post about the National Haitian apostolate conference. In case
some Corbetters are wondering who they are . I would like to say the National
Center of the Haitian Apostolate is the product of the work of the Haitian
Fathers who settled in New York in the l970's. Corbeeters might remember the
Jesuits, Spiritains ,  and other progressive priests who were forced to exile
under Duvalier in the mid to late l960's. A good number of these priests
settled in New York and began the Haitian ministry there. In l982, they began
to meet as a group. Over the years, lay catholics started to participate in
their gatherings . In l988, they opened  a two year Pastoral Institute which
provides catholic teachings to lay ministers. As far as I know, this  is the
only forum  where practicing  Haitian Catholic thinkers and visionaries
gather. They conduct workshops, plenaries,lectures, presentations, on various
issues that concern Haitians. Most Haitians who go to Church, be it Catholic
or protestants don't know and are not told by their priests and pastors that
they should be involved and concerned about the issues that are discussed in
this line.
I hope some of you, specially those in the East Coast of the United States
would be able to make. If it is not this year, maybe next.
Nekita